• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unemployment??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got my 737 type in November, thanks to the State of Michigan. Friend of my is getting her type tomorrow, thanks to the State of Michigan.

N2F

Florida has a $ 3,000 max, can't do much in aviation with 3k.

What states can we file unemployment in? I have heard it can be where you live, where you are based or where the company is headquartered? Any ideas?

Based on that info and where I have paid taxes in the past year there are about six states I could potentially use. My current state absolutly stinks for unemployment compensation and don't want to use them if I dont have to.

Thanks

Dayton is no longer giving Pilots anything. They say pilot is not a "in demand job". In fact they are "no longer helping pilots".

I got my 737 type in November, thanks to the State of Michigan. Friend of my is getting her type tomorrow, thanks to the State of Michigan.

N2F

Correct. Received full unemployment benefits plus a $7000 blank check for a Type Rating of my choice. This was during furlough from Mesaba.

What states can we file unemployment in? I have heard it can be where you live, where you are based or where the company is headquartered? Any ideas?

Based on that info and where I have paid taxes in the past year there are about six states I could potentially use. My current state absolutly stinks for unemployment compensation and don't want to use them if I dont have to.

Thanks

There is what's called a "lookback period" which is basically a 12 month timeframe (not from date of furlough) that you can claim unemployment from. States have reciprocity agreements for unemployment, and some pay much more than others... however say you live in Florida, and were based in Virginia for two months, you might not get full benefits from Virgina. It gets complicated depending on the state.

WIA varies so much per state... I am glad some of you got significant funds with which to seek type ratings.

Florida seems to be one of the worst. They only allocate X amount of dollars each fiscal year for WIA funds, when those are exhausted, it's tough luck.

Even if you qualify to get the money, which is only $3000, you must also prove that you have the means to make up the difference in cost. Basically if you go for a 737 type that costs $8000, you have to show the state that you have the additional 5 grand sitting in the bank before they will cut a check.

I have heard of other states paying up to 18 grand for a 777 type no questions asked.

i went down to the unemployment office and did all the required paperwork, but the earliest appointment to get in to see the WIA guru is in JUNE!!!! and when i looked it up, INdiana- where i live doesnt have anything beyond MEII in the WIA program, so my question to all of you is:

how do you have the opportunity to go thru another state to get any required training paid for.

it's not good when you're talking to the lady and the first thing is , i dont know nuthun 'bout pilots, i just started 2 weeks ago--- greeeeeeaaaattttttt.

or shoudl i go thru IL where untied was based?

any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated?

thanks,
SKIPPY

Latest resources

Back