UND Takes Nationals!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA,

I was a major participant in the Loening Trophy presentation the last two years. After getting completely hosed last year (the award was given more as a sportsmanship award and less for reasons Grover Loening had intended), I can't help but think this year's award was NIFA's way of saying "our bad"...especially given the minimal amount of effort put into it by the team. Regardless, it is a highly coveted award by the university adminstration and one I am proud we could reclaim.

I wish I could have been there to judge, but I got to sit reserve instead. I always had a blast at NIFA events and liked (almost) everybody on the other teams. Maybe I can attend next year and work the ALPA booth or something...

I am wondering what happens at these? Seriously.... I actually want to kow what kind of flying they are graded on. Is it spot landings, etc.....

Congrats UNDIES

Boiler,

Stay in touch with me through this board. I plan on getting more involved next year. The torch was passed to me for the AA Safety trophy. I also know many people that sit on the NIFA board.

Have to admit the evening socials are fun. A little:beer: liquor and some fun. It is like a reunion.

Best,

AA

navigator72 said:
I am wondering what happens at these? Seriously.... I actually want to kow what kind of flying they are graded on. Is it spot landings, etc.....

Congrats UNDIES

Short Field,
Power off Landing,
Navigation Run
Message Drop
CFI competition
Aircraft recognition
Ground events,
Preflight
Simulator

A host of specific awards from the Loening trophy, AA safety Award, Top Pilot, Harold S Wood Award, Red Baron Sportsmanship Award, Wally Funk Safety award etc.

Regards,

AA

IP076 said:
Dude...that picture rocks!!!

Congrats to UND....but they better watch out, next year is an odd numbered year...

I guess maybe I need to change the avatar now.....

Overall School Rankings
1. UND
2. ERAU-Prescott
3. Western Michigan University
4. United States Air Force Academy
5. Southern Illinois University
6. Purdue (tie)
6. ERAU-Daytona (tie)
6. The Ohio State University (tie)
9. Ohio University
10.Spartan School of Aeronautics

... 23. SJSU ... doh...

If there was an award for how high we could get our plane to bounce in it's parking spot we won it though ;)

And wally running over the cone was priceless.

Sure she's nice... as long as you're wearing an orange vest... although I think we've seen that that just makes you a target ;)

we kid because we love.

Hope you all had fun this year. It was a pleasure to host you. If there is anything you'd like us to improve on or keep the same for next year...please let me know! :)

AAFlyer - nice to meet you. Thanks for all your help!

down2mins said:
Hope you all had fun this year. It was a pleasure to host you. If there is anything you'd like us to improve on or keep the same for next year...please let me know! :)

AAFlyer - nice to meet you. Thanks for all your help!

We (SJSU) certainly had a blast and KOSU is a great venue... the only problem we had is that not once did those fuel cards result in us actually getting fuel. We still had to complain to the FBO staff... usually getting fuel just in time to pull up. Don't get me wrong, they are an excellent idea... but somebody dropped the ball somewhere. Repeatedly.

Oh and order nicer weather for next year ;) I know these things take time and good weather is usually back ordered like you wouldn't believe, but I got 1.4 the whole week, including practice and a checkout where we rented the planes, because I was in the later heats... I blame OSU.... just kidding ;)

And also, please tell the Olive Garden on Sawmill to completely cook their food next time... I missed out on a whole day of practice because of food poisoning.

And another thing... that Cirrus guy never called me for my Cirrus ride... guess I'll buy a 182 ;)

All kidding aside, you guys did a great job and it was a pleasure for this senior to compete in a nationals... finally. SJSU's story must be well known by now and if it's not or you have any questions feel free to ask me via PM or out in the open... I'm graduating in 2 weeks and I could care less who (or what, as the case may be) I piss off.

Congrats to UND for winning, and congrats to OSU for putting it all together with such precision. We had an inexperienced team this year and were self coached for the most part so just making it to nationals was an achievment... It was great to meet some of the other schools' teams and hang out with a great group of pilots...

... even if some of them were from Riddle. ;)
:bomb:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back