ultimate floatplane...(single)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BORAT said:
The Wipaire Turbine is a bit of a pig and they don't redo the tail which is crucial, plus they put the Caravans fuel system in it, which sucks...!

As I understand it, Wiplinger's philosophy was to spend as little money as possible to get certification and build it, that's why the original tail, borrowed fuel system and they used a king air cowling which looks a little funky. Speaking of funky looking, you ever seen the US F&WS's Garrett engined beaver?

BORAT said:
Have fun with a 206 on Amphibs...If you ever get off the water!

LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah, the Garrett Turbine Beaver is a piece of work... I see it in Anchorage on occassion and just wonder "Why?"... The Whip Beaver bugs me because first of all the tail on a regular beaver is just barely big enough to support the R985, now slap a PT-6 on it and you've got a rudder that can't support the engines power or P-factor.

206s are great on wheels, not as much on floats. I've flown one with two other guys and was amazed at how slow it was. Just won't handle a full load like a DeHavilland. Looking at the Cessna wing and DeHavilland wing side by side at a restoration yard, you can see why the Cessna is slower to get off the water. Great plane on wheels though.

imacdog said:
206s are great on wheels, not as much on floats. I've flown one with two other guys and was amazed at how slow it was. Just won't handle a full load like a DeHavilland. Looking at the Cessna wing and DeHavilland wing side by side at a restoration yard, you can see why the Cessna is slower to get off the water. Great plane on wheels though.

Fine. Beaver then.

-Goose

imacdog said:

You give me a 206 with a full load and enough water and I'll....step taxi you there.

Last edited:
I've flown the c182 and c206 on amphibs and never really had a problem getting them off the water in a decent time- especially the c182 that had a IO550 in it( unfortunatly the thing caught fire in flight last week and was a total loss).. But if you want something that gets off the water and you dont have the need for a monstrous plane- the Turbine Maule is a fun plane- I flew one while we had it in inventory for a few months.. It was a 1500 lb airplane with 420 HP- by the time you got the throttles in half way the thing was screaming out of the water at 4000 fpm... sucked on range though- Large seaplanes are maintenance hoggs-- if you have the money go for it... I'll stick with the c182 with the IO-550-- since ours burnt up, anyone have one for sale?

I've flown the c182 and c206 on amphibs and never really had a problem getting them off the water in a decent time- especially the c182 that had a IO550 in it( unfortunatly the thing caught fire in flight last week and was a total loss).. But if you want something that gets off the water and you dont have the need for a monstrous plane- the Turbine Maule is a fun plane- I flew one while we had it in inventory for a few months.. It was a 1500 lb airplane with 420 HP- by the time you got the throttles in half way the thing was screaming out of the water at 4000 fpm... sucked on range though- Large seaplanes are maintenance hoggs-- if you have the money go for it... I'll stick with the c182 with the IO-550-- since ours burnt up, anyone have one for sale?

Hey you are the guy who plopped the 182 down by Sample Rd, on your way to FXE? Great job, I'm sure you're happy we gotta lotta lakes round here! I saw the burnt out and wingless hull on the west side of the airport the other day, a sad site. What happened????

Latest resources

Back