Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UFlyMike revisited... What's the story? Bc it's awesome(!)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the TSO to be in effect you have to wear the ear buds underneath the headset correct? If so, how many people really do that?

Correct-a-mundo.

If a pilot were ever questioned about it, It would also be the first time in the history of commercial aviation a pilot was inspected for compliance with the TSO Authorization. There's at least one Fed I know that does, Walt Bala, Alaska POI. He doesn't inspect any other headsets to that level of detail, just ours.... He also thinks we should still be doing ADF approaches (I made that part up).

Mike

Since the feds don't care if your headset is TSO'd I really doubt they will look for a sticker.

Gup

Just had a fed on my jumpseat the other day while wearing mine...he never said a word.

I forgot to put in my earbuds also...

There's at least one Fed I know that does, Walt Bala, Alaska POI. He doesn't inspect any other headsets to that level of detail, just ours.... He also thinks we should still be doing ADF approaches

Actually he thinks we should be doing radio range approaches.

Why spend your own money on something the company provides?
...I assume your airlines equip the flight decks with headsets.

Interestingly enough I'll be situation like mike51135 and will share the results. With speaker on low during the below 10k portion what could be an issue? In cruise you can just use a speaker & hand mic. right?
(just some simple logic, {which never applies in this industry} and yes I'll keep my old ear tube h/s in my bag just in case.)

This brings me to my next long (sorry) question for all you Uflymike users
I just found both a newly ordered Bose qc15 & UFM boom waiting for me when I got home from trip 2 days ago and love them both already.
(Very nicely constructed product Mblackey! :beer:).​
I plan on using the headset "side saddle" by that meaning leaving the left ear slightly off so I can hear the guy in the left seat bark at me when I screw up. (not that that's a usual situation.... anyhow, using the intercom between us in not an option because the cockpit is very quiet in cruise). The only problem I see with this set up is that the left side of the h/s is where the boom unit plugs in so it's a little awkward to speak into the mic. if you want to slide the ear cup back to hear the boss (a little longer boom would make it work better for an fo to do this).
The other thing I could do is just flip (turn) the headset around and bend the boom backwards and use it that way, but once again the boom length is just a good inch too short, it'll prob work but I've alway like having the boom in front of my mouth instead of parked by my cheek. The easiest solution would be to just upgrade and get in the left seat all the time instead of once in a while for IRO duties but that won't happen for a while. I'm considering lengthening the boom to be the easiest option but I hoping someone has found a simple work around that I'm missing. Mike? Any other FO's? Thanks! Z.

Why spend your own money on something the company provides?
...I assume your airlines equip the flight decks with headsets.

I used junk for years too....

But an alternate and equal use of the BOSE will be for listing to tunes, drowning out crying babies, and plugging them into my laptop to watch movies during international dead heading. You need to hear these things plugged into your favorite CD..... the rest of the world disappears in some pretty amazing sound! This is coming from a guy that doesn't even own an mp3 player, all though I guess my smart phone qualifies... haven't tried them in the phone yet. For my first flying job (flt instructing/135 charter) my Dad treated me to a pair of David Clark for my birthday. Which I sold after moving to the regionals, since then I've used what's been provided and they suck in comparison. Amazingly, even my wife agreed I deserved a quality h/s after all these years despite the $500 (tax deductible) investment.

Just had a fed on my jumpseat the other day while wearing mine...he never said a word.

I forgot to put in my earbuds also...

I "forgot" to purchase the earbuds~ lol :eek:
(on purpose)

Interestingly enough I'll be situation like mike51135 and will share the results. With speaker on low during the below 10k portion what could be an issue? In cruise you can just use a speaker & hand mic. right?
(just some simple logic, {which never applies in this industry} and yes I'll keep my old ear tube h/s in my bag just in case.)

This brings me to my next long (sorry) question for all you Uflymike users
I just found both a newly ordered Bose qc15 & UFM boom waiting for me when I got home from trip 2 days ago and love them both already.
(Very nicely constructed product Mblackey! :beer:).​
I plan on using the headset "side saddle" by that meaning leaving the left ear slightly off so I can hear the guy in the left seat bark at me when I screw up. (not that that's a usual situation.... anyhow, using the intercom between us in not an option because the cockpit is very quiet in cruise). The only problem I see with this set up is that the left side of the h/s is where the boom unit plugs in so it's a little awkward to speak into the mic. if you want to slide the ear cup back to hear the boss (a little longer boom would make it work better for an fo to do this).
The other thing I could do is just flip (turn) the headset around and bend the boom backwards and use it that way, but once again the boom length is just a good inch too short, it'll prob work but I've alway like having the boom in front of my mouth instead of parked by my cheek. The easiest solution would be to just upgrade and get in the left seat all the time instead of once in a while for IRO duties but that won't happen for a while. I'm considering lengthening the boom to be the easiest option but I hoping someone has found a simple work around that I'm missing. Mike? Any other FO's? Thanks! Z.

First, you're welcome! We've not found a good solution for those that have issue with the mic on the left. We DO have a longer mic, though, about two inches longer. I always kept both ears covered in the left seat. When the boss said something, I figured it was likely about his investment strategy or one of his ex-wives... I just smiled and nodded. Figured if it was important, he would call back... :)

Mike

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back