Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UFlyMike revisited... What's the story? Bc it's awesome(!)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waveflyer

So I deadheaded yesterday- taking over the same plane when I landed-
Sat next to an AA jumpseater who after the small talk pulled out his UFlyMike for some quiet in the cabin.
That whole controversy was wrapping up as I got on here- and I thought it was much about nothing- who cares about a headset.?

But this guy let me check it out- I couldnt care less and that headset was fantastic-
And the versatility.

So.... I have no issues with authority- capt Magill says no- there you go- but what's the controversy again? I mean, if it's ok with the nazi's at American...??

I would buy one today if it were an option

Better hope it doesn't fail like mine did...they won't respond to call to attempt to fix it.

You can't wear it because Chuck said so. There is no rationalizing it. No amount of TSO paperwork, other airline acceptance or thinking.

Power at work.

Gup

So I deadheaded yesterday- taking over the same plane when I landed-
Sat next to an AA jumpseater who after the small talk pulled out his UFlyMike for some quiet in the cabin.
That whole controversy was wrapping up as I got on here- and I thought it was much about nothing- who cares about a headset.?

But this guy let me check it out- I couldnt care less and that headset was fantastic-
And the versatility.

So.... I have no issues with authority- capt Magill says no- there you go- but what's the controversy again? I mean, if it's ok with the nazi's at American...??

I would buy one today if it were an option

Welcome to the party, Wave....better late than never. This was CM's first high-visibility issue in his new position. Many at the time noted that it isn't just about the headset, it's about the style of leadership. Their comments proved to be remarkably prescient.

Some members of our Flight Operations Leadership team really should review what the FOM says about Foolish Pride. :bawling:

Please refer to him by his earned title of Kernal McGill. It what it is because the commander said so.

This very question was asked to Chuck himself when he came out to Vegas a few weeks ago for a pilot sit down. He was very honest about how the whole thing played out. Basically he could careless about what headset we wear. The only issue is that it explicitly states in the QC2 manual that "These headphones are not engineered to meet the needs of pilots or to meet civil aviation communications". Once our lawyers saw that the QC2 was done no matter the TSO or not. If Bose were to remove that from their manual we might have a chance to get it back in the cockpit. But you know as well as I do the chance of Bose doing that are excatly 0. I had to go home and look it up myself and there is was on page 9. So, after that I quit blaming the QC2 on Chuck. Blame the Captain who had a Fed on the jumpseat with the light flashing in face on a 2hr flight at night and started to ask questions.

Better hope it doesn't fail like mine did...they won't respond to call to attempt to fix it.

Patently false. Two of the three times I have called Uflymike, Mike has answered the phone himself. They mailed the missing "windsocks" from my original order within 24 hours and with no questions asked, sent me newly requested o-rings within 48 hours, and told me they would replace anything that broke on the headset even if a tug ran over it on the ramp.

Too bad Southwest's lawyers can't see past a brazen effort by Bose to destroy an independent manufacturer and entrepreneur.

This very question was asked to Chuck himself when he came out to Vegas a few weeks ago for a pilot sit down. He was very honest about how the whole thing played out. Basically he could careless about what headset we wear. The only issue is that it explicitly states in the QC2 manual that "These headphones are not engineered to meet the needs of pilots or to meet civil aviation communications". Once our lawyers saw that the QC2 was done no matter the TSO or not. If Bose were to remove that from their manual we might have a chance to get it back in the cockpit. But you know as well as I do the chance of Bose doing that are excatly 0. I had to go home and look it up myself and there is was on page 9. So, after that I quit blaming the QC2 on Chuck. Blame the Captain who had a Fed on the jumpseat with the light flashing in face on a 2hr flight at night and started to ask questions.

then why after it got it's TSO are we the only airline still not allowed to use it? and if a TSO is the holy grail that all is based on, per what our head kernals seem to make the big deal about, why are we allowed to use the plantronics with the 'custom' ear mold? the reg's state that any product that is modified by other than the manufacturer voids the TSO. so...is the earpiece they give us, then allow us to modify, now a non-TSO'd product? and i have had one of those fail on me.

and i assume you know that the ear mold company is tied in with one of our check airwoman's family business? not that this has anything to do with anything.

Patently false. Two of the three times I have called Uflymike, Mike has answered the phone himself.

Glad you know all about my experience. Left a message on his answering machine over 10 days ago....no response. Glad your experience was different, but he hasn't responded to me yet. Good thing I have a back up headset...

"Leave a message, we'll get back to you." Except they don't...

Been using the combo for over 5 years. Just upgraded to the QC15... thank you Bose. Thank you Mike.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back