• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAS Predator Pilot...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone have any information about the General Atomics positions that are open? They currently have a lot of postings for a UAV Pilot on their website: www.uav.com

It sounds like they are willing to sponsor you for a security clearance too -- "ability to obtain a Secret clearance."

I'm personally interested in the Sensor Operator position, if anyone has any information about that.

Collin County Sheriff's Department nixes aerial drone plan

[SIZE=-1]12:00 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By MATTHEW HAAG / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
[/SIZE]

Collin County's plan to buy several unmanned aerial vehicles for police use has been grounded.
The county's Sheriff Department canceled the plan after learning that the Federal Aviation Administration had designated most of the county as controlled air space. The drones, which would have flown at a maximum of 400 feet, might interfere with traffic over Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, county officials were told.
Last week, the department applied for a $235,000 grant to purchase six remote-controlled aircraft fitted with cameras.
"Until they resolve [the restrictions], we have withdrawn our application," said Lt. John Norton, the Sheriff's Department spokesman.
Department officials had hoped to use the drones to reduce the current dependence on helicopters operated by the Dallas Police Department and the Texas Department of Public Safety.
The drones would have performed tasks similar to those for which helicopters are used, such as finding missing children or searching fields for narcotics.
The plan was to let the Sheriff's Department and police departments in McKinney, Frisco, Allen, Plano and Wylie have their own unmanned aircraft.
The county was pursuing the plans knowing the FAA hadn't approved the use of the aircraft in heavily populated areas. That agency has temporarily allowed Houston and Miami to fly drones as part of a study of how their police departments use them.
Depending on the results of that study, Norton said, Collin County might seek another way to buy the unmanned aircraft. "I think it's something law enforcement in general is interested in," he said. div#article_tools_bottom a{ font-size:9px;}

Rez, thanks for passing along the info. I personally think it won't be long before a police department starts flying UAVs. Imagine if you are a policeman patrolling an area, and a UAV is orbiting overhead and feeding you a live video of your surrounding. You would know where the bad guys are. I think that's pretty cool.

Latest resources

Back