UALPA response to jumpseat threat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's what I'm reading into this:

"Yes, we know it's wrong and against our jumpseat agreements, And, yes, we're the ones that screwed it up in the first place (there wasn't a problem before) but, we're not going to fix it cause you guys are little piss ant, whiny, barbie jet wannabes. What are you gonna do about it??"

"Oh, and I almost forgot, this is not just because we are much better and more entitled pilots than you (we are). We don't have the money or bargaining power to fix it, notwithstanding the fact that twice in the last couple of months, we've managed scrape up enough to screw with you little pudknockers a little more by altering the very software we say we don't have the resources to alter."

"How dare you stand up to me, I'm the big kid here. If you don't back down, I'm going to tell my mommy and tell my friends to hate you too."

"By the way, we have all got to stick together"

Here's what I'm reading into this:

"Yes, we know it's wrong and against our jumpseat agreements, And, yes, we're the ones that screwed it up in the first place (there wasn't a problem before) but, we're not going to fix it cause you guys are little piss ant, whiny, barbie jet wannabes. What are you gonna do about it??"

"Oh, and I almost forgot, this is not just because we are much better and more entitled pilots than you (we are). We don't have the money or bargaining power to fix it, notwithstanding the fact that twice in the last couple of months, we've managed scrape up enough to screw with you little pudknockers a little more by altering the very software we say we don't have the resources to alter."

"How dare you stand up to me, I'm the big kid here. If you don't back down, I'm going to tell my mommy and tell my friends to hate you too."

"By the way, we have all got to stick together"

That about sums it up.

To answer your question, no matter how condescending or rhetorical it may have been, the aircraft listed are ones that I have worked in one aspect or another...either dispatching or back in my ramp-rat days.

Before you opt for the default ramper bashing response, don't take my time as a ramp-rat as any indication of my education level and cognitive abilities...I rock a 134 IQ (and I only mention this because a lot of folks seem to mistake dispatchers for idiots). I just liked the working outside for a change and it lead me to a love of this stupid industry.

As I've stated before, I never had any real desire to be an airline pilot. I can fly...I just don't really wish to make a career of it. Seventy-five percent of the pilots I know are bitter and/or hate their job...and that's just something I'm not into. Not a personal knock on anyone here; I'm just a firm believer that, once you start to hate it, it's time to move on to something else. Besides, I've always been a behind-the-scenes kinda guy...previous career was sound engineering and radio.

I thoroughly enjoy the mental gymnastics that some days require of this profession...juggling multiple traffic management initiatives, keeping an eye out for possible issues and hazards all over the U.S., and the general parsing of a constant stream of information. It is the one of the most thankless gigs in the industry and, most of the time, I prefer it that way (let’s face it, the guy emptying the crapper has THE most thankless gig).

All of that said, I have nothing but respect for the abilities and knowledge required of the pilot profession. I simply ask that you reconsider your condescending attitude and complete lack of respect towards my chosen profession.

Geez Walter, simmer down. I was just asking because with my sub-134 pilot IQ, it says AC Flown, so I was just wondering. I have known pilots to medical out and move on to other things. I have also been a ramper so I know all about it.

When you say you "can fly," does that mean you have controlled an aircraft in flight, you have a PPL, or you think you could if you wanted, because of your rockin 134 IQ?

Last edited:
So again... I ask... why is U-ALPA obligated to fix the problems of UAX pilots?
Simple really, if you wanna ride in one of our 4000+ jumpseats, fix it BACK to the agreed upon J/S agreements, otherwise enjoy your 1500 and shrinking number of flights. Face it you need us worse than we need you. Piss on me? No F U!
PBR

Geez Walter, simmer down. I was just asking because with my sub-134 pilot IQ, it says AC Flown, so I was just wondering. I have known pilots to medical out and move on to other things. I have also been a ramper so I know all about it.

When you say you "can fly," does that mean you have controlled an aircraft in flight, you have a PPL, or you think you could if you wanted, because of your rockin 134 IQ?
I'm just used to the typical, smart-alecky "pilot looking down on the dispatchers/pilot thinking that dispatchers are all pilot wannabes" remarks...so, yeah, I go on the defensive. I'm damn proud of our profession and it irks the hell outta me that there are people that make it out to sound that we are nothing more than a bunch of mouse-clickers. There are mouse-clickers amongst us...however, most of us believe in and practice a combination of professionalism, humility, and balance of workload that requires alot more skill and knowledge than we are ever given credit for.

As for your question...I readily admit, I probably shouldn't have worded it as "I can fly". I kinda rushed through that response. I started my PPL a while back...then had to spend that money on other, more important things. I'll have to finish that sucker eventually...just less than interested at the moment. In the end, I know the basics...but the point I was making was, I was making was that I have spent at least a small amount of time at the controls of an aircraft and that I'm not completely stupid as to the general abilities and brainpower required to operate an aircraft. My apologies for making it sound otherwise...there was no intention of sounding as though I am any kind of experienced pilot.

And yes, being on the borderline of genius does rock. Of course, certain activities I took part in while in college likely lowered that number to the sub-100 level. At least I had a good time, though. :)

Gee Rez, the UAL pilots are not honoring their portion of their reciprocal jumpseat agreement -

Are the UAL pilots actively violating the j/s agreement? Where does UAX and UAL management come into all of this..

So you are think UAL pilots are taking full advantage of this?

When I jumpseat I always talk to the fellow jumpseaters, find out who needs the jumpseat more. Who can take another flight etc...

Are you saying there are UAL pilots that are snubbing UAX pilots at the gate and then taking the UAX pilots own metal jumpseat? If so, are they doing that as a matter of policy or acting as an individual?

it is their company's software,

But not their software. Big difference. Do you expect U-ALPA to spend their time and money on this?

If so? Why? And why is U-ALPA's time and money better than UAX-ALPA's time and money.

and they are the beneficiaries of the problem.

Not by their efforts...only by happenstance. And the benefits are only obtained by individual scheming and poor PIC authority.

What else are we supposed to say to get it into your thick ALPA cheerleading skull?

What does ALPA have to do with this? And if you continue to use this type of chatter it just seems to diminish any good will? Or do you think you can insult people and still expect them to be altruistic?

If you don't think there is a problem because one pilot group is taking advantage of another then it's probably time to hang up the headset because you are completely devoid of integrity and a sense of responsibility to honor agreements.

There you go again with that type of diplomacy. Why are UAL pilots taking advantage of other pilots because United's software...

If so... then why not a letter appealing to UAL pilots professional and integrity to do whats right at the gate... instead... to gain attention, you threaten.

Are you saying the ultimatum letter was correct, of integrity and righteous?

I'll ask it again even though none of you ego-driven UAL pilots will answer - if the situation were reversed do you think the UAL pilots would allow this software problem to go uncorrected? Honest answers only please.

No they sure would not. But the UAL pilots have been dealing with management for 70 years. I'd like to think they would have not used such freshmen tactics as your Letter... however, even the UAL pilots can falter....

Word is that the Express carriers have won the battle.

There was no battle.

There was no war.

There was politicking, gamesmanship, and even a little brinksmanship...but ultimately what we all hope happened is cooler heads prevailed and both parties decided to work together to fix the problem.

Latest resources

Back