• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL - will it go down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UAL 78 I have a clarification for you. Not all or any of the other groups have to participate. This is directly from the ERP letter" the equitable and meaningful participation in the Company's recovery program by the Company's other labor groups on terms reasonably acceptable to the Association and Company: and...."
"In the event any of these conditions are not satisfied or waived by the Company and the Association on or before December 31, 2002" In other words Whiteferg can go at it on his own.

I also thing most folks would pass the ERP if it was a recovery plan..It is all the other stuff thrown in(gutting the contract) that folks have a problem with. Elimate the "gutting" and the thing will pass. BK issue is still there..with the ERP, BK gets delayed not avoided. As far as the stock price, unknown quanity. But, IMHO the fact we don't have a long term CEO and the same Senior "Management " making the same poor decisons (when they aren't following AA) and comments(Brace, Dutta) is a large part of the problem.

True, but without meaningful participation from the other groups, the cost benefits to the company are meaningless. We'd be p_ssing in the wind with that agreement trying to go it alone and Whiteford would be ill-advised to make that decision by himself without at least MEC direction much less membership ratification again. Though you are correct, the practicality of it remains only effective within the context of my posts.

Look for some of those mentioned to be sacrificial lambs in order to get everybody on board. Also, in order to attract anybody with the talent that we want, look for at least token statements from the other unions publically and probably strong assurances to a new guy privately. Because really, who'd want to come into this situation the way that it appears to everyone now?

Thanks.

UAL78

So Dog, Whats your vote ???

Seems that a large number of our group would like to roll the dice on this issue ???? Am I the only one that thinks a known quantity is better than a FAT chance in these trying times ? Oh sure, we can all blame past management for past failures however this is water under the bridge as far as I am concerned. The big loser is gone and there have been changes in management. Lets look to the future and not dwell on the past because the present is certainly different from the summer of 2000. There is never a garauntee against BK however at least there will be a clear picture as to where we are headed instead of a continued "Force Majure" or "economic reasons beyond our control" approach that is presently in place right now. I am sure that all that are not affected or feel that they are untouchable in the face of future furloughs feel a little differently than I do however the health of the company and the future are both of my concerns and they affect you as well. I am sure that my opinion as well as 16 out of 19 LEC reps cannot be completely out of wack ? Remember, we're stock holders that means we're part owners of the company and the idea is to make it a succesful and profitable company.

Anyway, just curious.

Re: So Dog, Whats your vote ???

If I had the opportunity to vote it would be NO, but since I'm on vacation that is not an option. Agreed that we can't live in the past, but currently I don't see any direction or plan to recover the airline. Dutta put out his six points to outsource/status quo but that will help us muddle around some more. The U code share appears to be a win for everyone as long as it doesn't morph into something more(revenue share etc). Would I be willing to cough up some coin to help "mangement" out, sure but what are they going to do with it? where is the plan.. they have to have a plan to qualify for the loan. P-3 what is the known quanity? FM would end for 9-11 but what happens if we go into Iraq? or another terriorst attack? I find it interesting that FM can end with a ratified ERP but doesn't if we say no..Either it is over or its not. There is alot of mistrust of management as well as the leadership of our union. Lots of untrues have been told the past several months, as well as cenorship of Anti-ERP material , etc. Opinions and knowledge are good. AS far as the 16-3 vote. Some of the 16 voted that way to send it out to the membership for ratification not endorsing it..how much of that is real true. I'm not sure. As a vacation guy I figure all I would "get" is longevity which is in there and the stock options is also a nice jesture.

Soapbox time
What we are lacking is leadership..Jack has vectored us in the general right direction but we need someone that will take the challenge to make UAL what it once was. I'm not to hip on someone who wants everyone in line before they take over. Idealist maybe, but I bet there is someone in the "club" who would be up to challenge. IMO if we had such an individual, someone who value their employees as assets rather than liabilities/cost, the people will get on board. The past few months of performance improvement is due to the rank and file making things work. It would be cool to see what we could do with a captain at the helm of the ship. sorry for the soap box ramblin..

Dog

reflections

This board basically reflects the problems that United has. Not only is their a lack of unity, there is a lack of spirit, and lastly a lack of leadership.

In a sinking ship, the crew can get together under some leadership and take steps that will maybe save the ship and get it back on course.

The second option is that the crew can go on an everyman for himself basis and start hoarding the wood themselves so they will have something to hold on to when the ship sinks. Their concentration on that will eliminate them considering other possibilities.

It is hard for a pilot making $300k to be critical of a FA making $75k a year. Are either worth that in the market, probably not.

When I had a flight attendant training school, we used to tell them that yes you are important in the safety aspect, however, if you are not successful in the customer service side, you will not have people who need you in the emergency/

That holds true here. If United does not start making the customer no 1 and spends all their time looking for wood, they will not get very far.

The Aug 12 Business Week has a one page article on UAL and bankruptcy possibilities.

Here are two blurbs:
"The IMA even put a lien on UAL's headquarters to secure $500 million in back pay the airline owes its member."

Then a reply to the labor cost issue from the president of the UAL FA council, "It's not our wages that are causing the problem."

Latest resources

Back