Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gordo

GO TERPS
I was just surfing the news and came acrosse this article just posted this June 30th evening by the AP. Enjoy.

06/30/2006 - Updated 7:08 PM ET
1.gif
United accelerates pilot recall after flight cancellations
ELK GROVE VILLAGE, Illinois, Jun 30, 2006 (AP Worldstream via COMTEX) -- United Airlines said Friday it is accelerating its recall of pilots after canceling flights last weekend when not enough pilots were available.
The nation's No. 2 carrier is recalling another 125 pilots, bringing this year' planned total to 400, spokeswoman Jean Medina said.
The airline, a parent of UAL Corp., was forced to cancel 186 flights last weekend because of a lack of available pilots.
"Our weekend reflected an aggressive flying schedule, and unfortunately severe weather on the East Coast affected crew availability," Medina said. "We did not have adequate reserve crews and as a result flights were canceled."
United regrets any inconvenience to its customers and is working to ensure that its operations can accommodate any disruptions to the summer flying schedule, she said.
Copyright (C) 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Added info from UAL Flight OPs hotline

A quote from System Chief Pilot, Pat Dugan's message, in the UAL Hotline:

"Two weeks ago, we announced that we will be bringing back 20 pilots with our 10 th recall class beginning August 21 st. I am pleased to tell you we have increased the size of that class to 30 and that our plans for subsequent classes include the recall of 115 additional pilots this year. This will put the yearly total to just shy of 400, almost 100 more than our previous target for 2006."

Gordo said:
A quote from System Chief Pilot, Pat Dugan's message, in the UAL Hotline:

"Two weeks ago, we announced that we will be bringing back 20 pilots with our 10 th recall class beginning August 21 st. I am pleased to tell you we have increased the size of that class to 30 and that our plans for subsequent classes include the recall of 115 additional pilots this year. This will put the yearly total to just shy of 400, almost 100 more than our previous target for 2006."

Yeah...we'll probably STILL be short.......

Hvy said:
Yeah...we'll probably STILL be short.......

No probably about it. 400 this year doesn't cover retirements + block hour growth; they need to recall ~450 to cover those numbers. And UAL was short ~200 last year.

Andy said:
No probably about it. 400 this year doesn't cover retirements...
Any good figures as to how many will retire each year for the upcoming years? I remember the number being around 300-330 per year back in year 2000, but I'm assuming that the early retirements knocked those numbers down quite a bit.

Huggyu2 said:
Any good figures as to how many will retire each year for the upcoming years? I remember the number being around 300-330 per year back in year 2000, but I'm assuming that the early retirements knocked those numbers down quite a bit.

From July 2005 Seniority List:
2005 83
2006 240
2007 266
2008 237
2009 234
2010 203
2011 169
2012 231
2013 246
2014 240
2015 277
2016 332
2017 309
2018 383
2019 357
2020 463

One thing to note is that there were only 193 pilots on the seniority list who were on medical leave of absence; that sounds pretty low. I suspect that most everyone who was on medical leave went ahead and retired before their pensions were lost.

Andy,

Do you know what numbers they are presently recalling. I am not a pilot at ual but just curious. I just had a j/s on my flight that was so happy to be returning. It just made me happy for him. Thanks.

sh

Latest Vacancy Bid

400 CAP SFO 3

777 CAP DCA 5 SFO 3

767 CAP ORD 3 DEN 3

320 CAP DCA 15

300 CAP DEN 4

TTL40
----------------------
400 F/O ORD 3

777 F/O DCA 5

767 F/O DCA 5 DEN 5 LAX 3

320 F/O DCA 30 LAX 12

300 F/O DCA 5 ORD 25

TTL 92

TOTAL CAP VACANCIES: 40
TOTAL F/O VACANCIES: 92
TOTAL VACANCIES: 132

Above is the latest vacancy bid as an fyi... This closes the third week in August. Lots of unfilled vacancies on the the last bid. You can get a feel where they are short, and where you will probably be recalled to upon your return. Seems to be a big push in IAD. UAL is not the UAL of the past in terms of pay and quality of life, but it is still a pretty good gig. We need ya'll back soon, as we are all getting worked pretty dang hard.

Regards to our future recalls.

FWIW, A guy in my squadron just got recalled and talked to Bob Neal on the phone today. Bob told him to expect Oct, Nov, Dec classes with 30/class.

Latest resources

Back