Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL to not make it through the Winter???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe it was APA who agreed to the first B-scale as well.

Oh, you mean influencing congress on issues ALPA opposes? Like age 65?

The WSJ has a nice article on the upcoming flight/ duty time regs that may change to allow transcon turns. Is ALPA going to "influence" that too?

Linky to the WSJ article, please.

Yup, they will. And they're going to get some things they don't want, and they're going to get some things they do want. And there are going to be compromises. Hence the word "influence." It's much better than the alternative- "no influence" or "zero influence." Further, what is probably going to happen is that some pilots are going to see rule changes, whether it is rest rule changes or whatever, and see some they don't like. Then they're going to say, "look ALPA sucks. Rule XXX is a joke." Of course, who knows how much worse something undesirable would have looked had ALPA not been there.

They did influence age 65. They made it happen. They are going to influence the flight duty time rigs. Be prepared to deal with the rules that ALPA writes.

I disagree that they made it happen, and again, ad nauseam. So whenever ALPA, or any other large organization loses a fight, we should just throw the whole organization out and replace them with what? An organization that never loses ANY political battles and won't in the future? An organization that can satisfy every airline pilot's needs simultaneously? Which organization will that be? Whatever it is, let me know because I want in.

Guys:

I'm NOT trying to stir up a hornet's nest or pi$$ in anyone's Cheerios. Please don't take it that way. I don't want this to happen and am not advocating a position either way.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is hearing this. Yesterday, I had a talk with a bud about consolidation in the industry vis a vis DAL and NWA and the topic turned to UAL and whether they will make it at all. His theory was that they shouldn't and I disagreed simply on a jobs front. We were talking about UAL having to pledge spare parts as collateral for their loan covenants and I thought that definitely didn't sound good. He said that he is hearing that Lufthansa and others are hovering around trying to figure out which parts they want, planes, routes, ops, gates, systems, etc.

So what is the scoop over there? Is there a load factor issue? Is there no money or advance bookings to make through the Winter? Are there rumors of parting out the company?

Just wondering. No flamebait. Best of luck to all the UAL bros and buds that I have over there. This industry is proving to be a mother!

WM

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601209&sid=acjk9mbwtyfc

I would trust this over a "bud"........

Sure, but SWAPA and APA have both been around for 40 years plus. You start an independent union now and you get USAPA or NPA.

www.usapa.org

Both SWAPA and APA both had a first day. As for USAPA, like it or not, they have only been around for a short while. If Usair (or any of us) is around a while they to will get more organized. NPA took the ALPA leap. Time will tell how that works out for them.

It's great that you think independent unions are superior than ALPA, but there are shortcomings as well. For example, ALPA has more influence in government than either of those unions because we have 10,000's of thousands of members represented by one union. So now you're probably thinking, so what? Well, when it comes to governmental issues concerning pilots, government officials don't ask the leader of the APA to come and talk to a committee, but Prater does. After the Buffalo crash, it was Prater talking to Congress, not the leaders of SWAPA.

Big deal you're thinking, right? What has ALPA done for me lately, right? Well, right now we have some pretty important changes in regulation that are about to take place within the FAA. It's ALPA that has members providing their input. It's ALPA that is going to influence the direction that regulation is going to take. If we start splintering off into our own little unions, we lose the ability to speak with one voice. Do you think every member of the ATA agrees with everything the ATA does? When ATA loses a political battle, do you see Delta, American, United, etc., threatening to leave the ATA if they don't get their way? Of course not. The individual airline CEOs aren't STUPID. They know that collectively they'll have more influence when the ATA speaks for the industry then if each airline pursued it's own agenda. Pilots on the other hand want to pout, take their toys, and go home when the association that has to please 50,000 pilots doesn't meet their personal desires.

ALPA's political influence help speed me on my way to the street for the second time during my 10 years of on again off again work with UAL. Thanks again for age 65 ALPA!! Maybe I can go back to UAL and get furloughed a third time while the senior guys have the mentality of "as long as it doesn't effect me it's fine."

So you aren't resigning? Seems kind of hypocritical to me to paint with such a broad brush, calling me and my peers "self serving idiots" and all. If you'd put your money where you mouth is, you'd submit your resignation tomorrow and be done with us. If I honestly felt that way about my peers at a particular carrier, the LAST thing I would do is associate with them, especially when there appears to be no apparent reason to do so.

I shouldn't gripe about my management's poor performance? Really? Let's see- 3 years in bankruptcy, huge pay cuts (46%-ish), trashed work rules, lost pensions, 1.5% raises over the past several years, pi$$ing away cash in DIV's and paying down low interest debt WITH CASH in order to pay said DIV, (I'll give them a pass on the hedging losses), a couple of thousand pilots furloughed, and despite all of those advantages these guys STILL can't get their act together. Never mind the lack of leadership, the outsourcing, and the recent Aer Lingus end around. Yet the pilots are MORE responsible for creating a lousy work environment? Really? Perhaps we should be nominating Glenn for CEO of the year?

It's one thing as a corporation in an industry experiencing a down cycle to get dragged down along with the cycle. It's another when a management team gets every advantage they could possibly want through the bankruptcy courts and the 1113c process and STILL be losing.

Paragraph 1: Resign? Why? Zero cost for me to remain on furlough and qualify for retirement. Let me be kind; your suggestion displayed zero critical analysis.

Paragraph 2: Gawd, I love it when pilots think that they can manage an airline. I made an extremely long rebuttal but it didn't post. Maybe next time.

Paragraph 3: Wanna compare C2K (81 hrs max) with C2003 (89/95)? That's a 10-18% personnel reduction, specifically for the purpose of minimizing senior pilots' paycheck shrinkage due to hourly pay cuts. In a 10K pilot workforce (where it used to be), that single move cost 1000-1800 pilots their jobs. And how was the vote on C2003? Something like 85% in favor? Sweet; nothing like solidarity ... among the senior 'pull up the ladder' pilots.

ALPA's political influence help speed me on my way to the street for the second time during my 10 years of on again off again work with UAL. Thanks again for age 65 ALPA!! Maybe I can go back to UAL and get furloughed a third time while the senior guys have the mentality of "as long as it doesn't effect me it's fine."

Anyone, ANYONE who tells you that ALPA and UAUA ALPA did not play a part in age 65 is not equipped with the facts. UAUA ALPA voted in favor of age 65 at the ALPA Executive Board. ALPA ran a push poll prior to the Congressional vote to justify changing age 60.
ALPA and UAUA ALPA did not resist the change; they were jocund cheerleaders for the change to 65.

Latest resources

Back