• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigr

Report: United plans 25 percent fewer pilots, flight attendants
Associated Press

CHICAGO - United Airlines intends to reduce the number of its pilots and flight attendants by up to 25 percent and implement a two-tier pay structure under the new business plan it has devised in bankruptcy, a published report said Wednesday.

The Chicago Tribune, citing unidentified sources, reported that pilots and flight attendants working for a planned new discount carrier to be operated by the airline would be paid significantly less than those on regular United flights.

United declined comment on the report.

The world's second-largest airline, which has posted heavy losses since mid-2000, filed for Chapter 11 federal bankruptcy protection on Dec. 9. It is required to compile a new business plan in the first 120 days of bankruptcy to show its lenders how it intends to return to profitability.

A key to United's financial strategy is a planned $2.4 billion reduction in annual labor costs, which the carrier outlined last month in bankruptcy court. CEO Glenn Tilton also said last month that United plans to launch a low-cost carrier to compete with Southwest Airlines as part of efforts to regain its financial footing.

United spokesman Joe Hopkins said Tilton is presenting the plan to the board of directors of United's parent, UAL Corp., on Thursday. He said specifics were given Monday to financial advisers of United's creditors committee, which is monitoring the bankruptcy reorganization and includes its three major unions, but not detailed in full to employees yet.

"Our plan is to share the information with our employees before we share them with wider audiences," Hopkins said.

Spokesmen for the pilots, flight attendants and machinists said Wednesday they had not been briefed on specifics of the plan.

United has laid off 20,000 workers since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and currently has about 78,000 employees, including nearly 20,000 flight attendants and about 8,500 pilots.

According to the Tribune, it would need only about 6,000 pilots under the reorganization plan, and they would be required to increase their flight time to an average of 50 hours a month, up from the current 36 hours.

The report also said United's plan calls for contracting more of its regional routes to its commuter partners - Atlantic Coast Airlines, Air Wisconsin and SkyWest Airlines - which operate planes bearing the United Express logo and would be permitted to fly larger, 70-seat jets. And the report said United likely will close its Indianapolis maintenance center.

United is seeking concessions from its unions after a bankruptcy judge approved temporary wage reductions of 29 percent for pilots, 9 percent for flight attendants and 14 percent for machinists, who include mechanics, ramp workers and customer contact workers.

The company reports fourth-quarter and full-year results on Friday and is expected to exceed the $2.1 billion loss of 2001 - an industry record that has since been exceeded by American Airlines.

UAL shares fell 7 cents to $1.08 in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

bigr said:
According to the Tribune, it would need only about 6,000 pilots under the reorganization plan, and they would be required to increase their flight time to an average of 50 hours a month, up from the current 36 hours.

Wow!

Anyone know the hire date of #6,000 on the seniority list? I would guess somewhere in the early 90's? maybe 93 or so??? Total guess....

That doesn't even come close to the late 1980's sen. number pilots from USAirways on the streets. Just when you think you have it made...

sayagain?

My heart goes out to those who may affected by the latest round of irrational management. Always a sound plan to spread one's fixed costs over as little revenue as possible. Reminds me of that old saw about the rowing team.

I am gonna call B.S. on one thing - 36 hours/month? That's an annualized 432 hrs. Surely the majority never had it that good, right?

bigr said:

CEO Glenn Tilton also said last month that United plans to launch a low-cost carrier to compete with Southwest Airlines as part of efforts to regain its financial footing.

I just LUV that quote. Competing with SWA in efforts to regain its financial footing. Sounds like a award winning plan

Illini Pilot said:
only good thing could be the increased contracting of Air wisc and skywest

Depends how you look at it.

Fast movement, faster upgrades and all that for Air Wisconsin, SkyWest, and ACA, but it also means a replacement and outsourcing of high-paying major airline jobs to lower paid regionals, which translates to flying under a regional contract, under regional payscales, under regional work rules, under regional retirement plans (if any) and having very limited slots for that coveted major airline job. To some it's good, to others it's not. As I said, depends how you look at it.

So it looks like United is going to try and build a new low fare airline and do point to point or hub feed for the remnant of the original UAL that will still fly the big stuff to far away destinations.
Any thoughts on a much smaller United needing a much smaller United Express.... makes a person wonder

Any thoughts on a much smaller United needing a much smaller United Express.... makes a person wonder

Yup! And the United Express of the future will NOT consist of the current mix of companies. Either a fourth will come in and add to the flying, or a fourth will come in and replace an existing company. If it's just a situation of adding another carrier, then the "explosive" growth will be damped as it has to be spread among 4 carriers instead of 3. If the fourth replaces an existing carrier, then who ever gets dumped is going to put a ton of folks on the street. I hate to sound so down, but I think it's more and more of a gamble to leave a job to go to any UAX carrier these days.

I hope I'm wrong.

S.

Latest resources

Back