UAL operating full "pre9/11" schedule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

Lot of newspapers are reporting that UAL is back to operating full flight schedules at pre 9/11 levels.

So how is this happening if there are still a large no of pilots laid off by UAL? Are the others given a heavier workload or is the media screwing up again.

Also if load factors are down and traffic levels are down how does operating a full schedule help at all?

Don't forget that when the media and United press releases talk about schedules they are including United Express numbers. A significant number of ASMs and "flights per day" from the schedule have gone over to UAX since 9/11.

That's one reason UAL has furloughed and not recalled and UAX carriers are hiring.

Post 9/11 they were running about 1800flight/day, pre was about 2200. I think I saw they were hoping for about 2000/day for the summer, don't know how long that will last, anyone with any info, chime in. They put lots of planes in the desert and they aren't coming back anytime soon. They also cancelled aircraft delivery orders for 2003, which means zero mainline growth for 2003. I'm pretty disappointed in the complete lack of communication coming out of the MEC. Anyway...I saw a few guys are still waiting for their transistion class...since 9/11. Sure wish I could get a paid 6+month vacation. For anyone based in ORD, the WIA is handing out $6000 like it was candy for those needing "retraining" or other type ratings. Good luck to all!

Not all UAX carriers are hiring. Air Wisc. still has 39 on furlough, about the same percentage of our pilot group as UAL hason furlough.

Beer

This is true, but it isn't due to Whiskey not getting its share of mainline flying. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) the furloughs there are mainly due to reduced 328 flying. Another example of how no-furlough clauses aren't worth a crap.

Latest resources

Back