UAL MEC Endorses 14.7% Paycut

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thruthemurk said:
In some cases, others hired under the program were resentful as well because they would sometimes be assumed incompetent until they flew and proved otherwise.
That's the other drawback of affirmative action- some of those hired who would not normally have been hired or were hired at too low of an experience level simply muddle along, re-affirming some pilots' misguided beliefs that members of that "group" are somehow less than competent.

Thanks for bringing some historical perspective to frame the events at UAL under the EEOC mandate. Of course, we have several on this board that deny this ever happened, and will come out of the woodwork to tell you how "wrong" you are and that you are not in lockstep with the PC mentality that goes along with such programs.

Left seat now Ty? Why didn't they get a NOTAM out about that?
Just kidding. Congratulations.

I say there are not enough whites in pro-basketball (these are good-paying jobs, after all!)

How about some affirmaive action here!?

GogglesPisano said:
I say there are not enough whites in pro-basketball (these are good-paying jobs, after all!)
Sure there are, they're called OWNERS.

Someone on a sports show once described the difference between RICH and WEALTHY like this.

Shaquille O'Neal is RICH, the guy who writes his checks is WEALTHY.

Although, Sports Teams are proabably one of the only places where it doesn't pay to discriminate. The best person gets the job.

Stifler's Mom said:
Sure there are, they're called OWNERS.

Someone on a sports show once described the difference between RICH and WEALTHY like this.

Shaquille O'Neal is RICH, the guy who writes his checks is WEALTHY.

Although, Sports Teams are proabably one of the only places where it doesn't pay to discriminate. The best person gets the job.
Just look at how many former players are now owners, then reevaluate your statement. If shaq wants to he can buy his own team when he retires.

Also, I totally agree with your last statement. Aviation shouldn't be any different. The best person should get the job. PC is out of control in this country.

Also another element that was a factor in assertive female and minority hiring was mail contracts for the Postal Service. I know of one legacy carrier that increased their hiring of minorities and women in the late 90's to meet quota demands imposed by the USPS for those lucrative mail contracts.

flyinglow said:
Just look at how many former players are now owners, then reevaluate your statement. If shaq wants to he can buy his own team when he retires.
OK, I didn't want to get sucked in this far but I will.

I did a quick google search, and taking this information at face value, here is what I found in an article.

This article goes into many deeper facets regarding race relations, but it is 10:30pm and it is what came up with a GOOGLE search.

http://www.workers.org/ww/2004/nba1209.php

Out of the 30 NBA teams, only a handful have African American head coaches. Black men still make up less than 1 percent of NBA owners and executives.

Thanks for the research but whoever wrote that article is clueless. Once again looking for excuses. For every professional black athlete who acts out without restraint at the very minimal of provocation there are a 100 times the amount of "unnoticed" black professional athletes that act and play respectfully and with the utmost in professional decorum. Except they don't make news. There is no excuse for that type of behavior.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back