• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
If you are a UAL furloughee:
- Do you plan on coming back to UAL? Qualify the answer if you like with "No way, I'm already on the line with SWA", or "Only as a last resort, if my engineering business doesn't work out", or "Absolutely, can't wait", etc...
Also, list what year you were hired.
My answers: "It's not my first choice. I'm not sure I want back in the industry."
I was hired in 2000.

Last edited:
Not necessarily my first choice either. I am enjoying the corporate flying I am doing now, but even with that said, it is tempting to get out of flying altogether. Hired 2000. Good luck

Not my first choice either

But it sure beats this non-sched stuff. I'll go back if I can't get on at Southwest or Jetblue. Unless I just go back to my true life-long dream of garfish ranching.

Hired in 2000.

If the ship gets turned around and we have control over the rudder I will go back, I want to be part of UAL again like it was in 99' I guess time will tell. I have a good job now so in no hurry but I bet I will need to make a decision soon. (8/99 Hire)

Maybe we can get back all we lossed over the last few years in 2010?

FutureTEDpilot said:
Maybe we can get back all we lossed over the last few years in 2010?

Yeah, you probably will get back all you lost. The company will pay you contract 2000 payrates, NOT adjusted for 2010 inflation and col. So it will be just like the raises in 2000 after the ESOP loss in the early 90's.

Don't worry, USA Today, WS Journal, NY times will talk it up that you guys got 30% plus raises and are so high paid.

dojetdriver said:
Yeah, you probably will get back all you lost. The company will pay you contract 2000 payrates, NOT adjusted for 2010 inflation and col. So it will be just like the raises in 2000 after the ESOP loss in the early 90's.

Don't worry, USA Today, WS Journal, NY times will talk it up that you guys got 30% plus raises and are so high paid.

Nice post Do-boy. Go get a life....

Will I go back? Maybe

Is it my first choice? No

Hard to go back and start at the bottom again. I have a good job now. If I were called today (highly unlikely) I'd bypass. I will put off the decision as long as possible. For me it will come down to quality of life.

I won't say that I'd never go back. I miss the good days of high pay, decent seniority, pension, B-fund, west coast, paid medical, 4-hour callout (when I was on reserve), professional dispatchers, the 737, etc... However, most of those benefits have either been reduced or eliminated altogether. We will see.

Hired 3/'00. Not expecting a callback until at least 2007.

GP

FutureTEDpilot said:
Nice post Do-boy. Go get a life....
Um, dude, maybe you should lighten up a little bit. Re-read what I said, I wasn't criticizing you, or your situation. I was making fun of the management of the airline that furloughed YOU and the way it will probably be portrayed by the ignorant media if and when the pilot group at United ever gets back what they have given up to try to make the circus the management created over there work.

The Latest I heard

Bringing back 737 PI's to start ramping up training. Bringing some of the planes on as Ted. More recalls begin in the fall and applying the same numbers to call vs. people to come back, would be through the list in 2006.

Time will tell. The best to all of you and congratulations to those who found good places to land.

UAL78

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back