Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL cuts capacity 4% Hows Jeff looking now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scott,

A lot of the LA, SFO, and DEN stuff they currently fly with CR7s were flown with 737-300s. I should know, I was furloughed off of them. Then they dumped all 94 of them because they needed to streamline for the merger with CAL. They could put 737 sized mainline planes(maybe A319s) on current CR7 routes, and then put CR7s on some of the CRJ-50 routes, and that might help out. Tilton was thinking merger, and that is why he dumped the planes.

OYS

Tilton and Smisek...................New millenium Lorenzo style management...
United Continental Holdings = Texas Air of the 80s....
History is going to repeat its self. Build one Airline at the expense of the other.

History will repeat itself all right. There's going to be one huge, ugly strike.

Unfortunately I think you're right. I'm trying to get my house in order and planning for it. It's sad to see these management types getting in that have no clue how to "RUN" an airline.

You're right, no clue indeed. A bunch of empty suits.

They've lost an arbitration. They're going to continue to lose against the ruling as we hammer them with the details they continue to violate. (Violate flagrantly, I might add) The mediator is going to figure out they are not negotiating in good faith, if he hasn't already. We're going to get released.....

So for the full year 2011, our consolidated [i.e. mainline + express] capacity will be about flat with what it was for 2010...

For the first time in a long time, the "new" United is actually doing something rational since the real capacity cuts will occur at the gas-guzzler express carriers while overall mainline flying will apparently increase to compensate. In fact, overall mainline flying has to increase if about half of the stated domestic reductions are express while the consolidated capacity remains level. It's simply moving additional mainline aircraft into international markets.

In addition, UAL's action mirrors the same thing that DAL is doing by parking 50-seat RJ's and increasing mainline utilization so DAL's consolidated capacity is also approximately level even with RJ reductions.

For the first time in a long time, the "new" United is actually doing something rational since the real capacity cuts will occur at the gas-guzzler express carriers while overall mainline flying will apparently increase to compensate. In fact, overall mainline flying has to increase if about half of the stated domestic reductions are express while the consolidated capacity remains level. It's simply moving additional mainline aircraft into international markets.

In addition, UAL's action mirrors the same thing that DAL is doing by parking 50-seat RJ's and increasing mainline utilization so DAL's consolidated capacity is also approximately level even with RJ reductions.

Thank you...exactly. It is always nice to know someone on here has the ability to reason.

There are less than 20 of these guys left in any position at all on the whole list.

What airline do you work for?! What are you talking about?! There are about 600 guys over 60 at CAL alone. And yes, most of the training department is over 60.

I don't agree with your thesis. It sounds harmless enough, you're probably at least partially correct. But memos like this too often are what precede announcements of parking mainline airplanes. Mgt floats something like this first so the Stockholm Syndrom sufferers have something to cling to while they shout down the rest of us. It too often causes us all not to react. We can't afford that mistake anymore. How many mainline airplanes have to be parked before we become proactive?

Latest resources

Back