Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL cuts capacity 4% Hows Jeff looking now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have just under 1500 total furloughs. Based on recent recalling, I would say only half of those are going to be available/willing to come back.

Additionally, the post does indicate half of the affected flights will be RJs.

"WE" when has UNITED been recalling, I must have missed my recall letter. The way things are going, there are going to be more UAL pilots joining us at the furloughed camp by the river!!

I think the summer schedule at Southwest is going to be very busy. I hate to hear what's going on at UAL/CAL. I thought it was just United that was the incredibly shrinking airline, looks like they brought that with them.

Half the domestic pull down will occur on 50 seaters, according to the question and answer part. And, they are increasing some international flying at the same time, although it looks like they won't be adding Cairo.

OYS

Jeff is pissed that we seem to have the upper hand in things. I'm sure he's irritated at us for winning the RJ ruling. United has raised their fares to match the increased fuel prices. Load factors are 90+ percent. They mention every dollar increase is equal to 100 million, but fail to say how much they get with an increase of 100 bucks a ticket. Jeff is going to threaten to park planes, furlough, and reduce capacity to bring fear to the pilot group. It's all bs in my opinion. We don't even have the staffing to get us through the summer. Throw in a thunderstorm or hurricane this summer, complete and absolute meltdown. They were planning to park the 500's anyways along with some United a/c with poor fuel performance. Why not spread doom and gloom? It worked with the fa's, mechanics, and dispatchers. Why not the pilots? It's up to us to change things. When we get our pay raises, work rules, and retirement back, all the other employee groups will see how the screwed up.

Last edited:
"As a result of the capacity changes, for the full year 2011, we will reduce our domestic capacity by 1.5 to 2.5 percent compared with 2010, while increasing 2011 international capacity by 2.5 to 3.5 percent compared with last year. So for the full year 2011, our consolidated capacity will be about flat with what it was for 2010, rather than growing the 1 to 2 percent that we planned for the year."

As I read it, domestic growth down, international up. 50% of the domestic cuts will come from regional partners. Not a huge draw down for mainline, just reallocating to the international side.

It's time to "take it back." I hope you do a better job than the Delta guys just did ;)

Gup

Don't you have a SLI to worry about? I'd look carefully into Guadalupe holdings and that codeshare with Volaris before you display your high and mighty attitude. Karma can be a real bitch.

It's time to "take it back." I hope you do a better job than the Delta guys just did ;)

Gup

.......Says the PFT tool who's airline was a drag on the industry's good pay, benefits, and work rules, for nearly 3 decades.:rolleyes:

Either UAL parks the RJs or we strike. Mainline pilots better not get furloughed on this. It's time for the teens to hit the streets

Do you have any idea how much money United would lose if they tried doing the 50 seat RJ routes with mainline airplanes? or how much revenue they would lose if they didn't provide the service at all?

In my opinion the main problem for the legacy carriers is that the government will issue an operating certificate to anyone who can meet the requirements. There's no thought given to balancing supply and demand so airlines can make money and provide stable, good paying jobs.

The furlough situation would be a lot better if Virgin America, Mesa Hawaii, Jet Blue, etc we never allowed to start up. Maintaining good paying jobs and decent retirements should be the goal.

The only advantage the newer airlines have is that they don't have to provide the pay and benefits that the legacy airlines do (or used to). That is not a brilliant business move or good for America, it's just ruins a lot of peoples lives (a lot of people we all know).

Cheers,
Scott

Do you have any idea how much money United would lose if they tried doing the 50 seat RJ routes with mainline airplanes? or how much revenue they would lose if they didn't provide the service at all?

In my opinion the main problem for the legacy carriers is that the government will issue an operating certificate to anyone who can meet the requirements. There's no thought given to balancing supply and demand so airlines can make money and provide stable, good paying jobs.

The furlough situation would be a lot better if Virgin America, Mesa Hawaii, Jet Blue, etc we never allowed to start up. Maintaining good paying jobs and decent retirements should be the goal.

The only advantage the newer airlines have is that they don't have to provide the pay and benefits that the legacy airlines do (or used to). That is not a brilliant business move or good for America, it's just ruins a lot of peoples lives (a lot of people we all know).

Cheers,
Scott

You mean like the kind of routes SWA does with their 737s? How much money are they loosing?

Cheers,
Scott

Scott,

A lot of the LA, SFO, and DEN stuff they currently fly with CR7s were flown with 737-300s. I should know, I was furloughed off of them. Then they dumped all 94 of them because they needed to streamline for the merger with CAL. They could put 737 sized mainline planes(maybe A319s) on current CR7 routes, and then put CR7s on some of the CRJ-50 routes, and that might help out. Tilton was thinking merger, and that is why he dumped the planes.

OYS

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back