Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sgu

In search of...
It has been an interesting start to this weeks showdown between labor and mgmt. Here are some quotes I find most interesting. I applaud all the employees that showed this morning they cared about their future and that they are serious when they say they will strike!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050510/united_airlines.html?.v=9
Quote:
" "If they don't do it, they're not going to get the financing to get out of bankruptcy," said Ray Neidl of Calyon Securities. "They're at the point where they need movement."

United Airlines defended its plan in a 300-page court filing Monday, calling its blueprint for terminating the defined-benefit pensions a "landmark achievement" in its restructuring."

Landmark achievement? What is that?, taking away money owed to your employees is imo not something to be proud of!

Quote:
" United also reiterated its criticism of the Association of Flight Attendants for threatening to strike over the pension issue, saying it has no legal right to do so.

"AFA is wrong and irresponsibly so," United said in the filing."

Ok that is the pot calling the kettle black. The AFA is irresponsible to defend itself from mgmt while its salary and pension is being taken away??? I call BS on that one! All eyes are the courtroom this week for the outcome.
Good luck to all!

This could be a scary ruling! If management is allowed to violate status quo and the employees are not allowed to respond, we are in deep doo doo!

Hey atleast UAL management took up to an 11% paycut. They have been sacrificing earnings just like the unions. And unions are the ones accused of being greedy....

Green said:
Hey atleast UAL management took up to an 11% paycut. They have been sacrificing earnings just like the unions. And unions are the ones accused of being greedy....

This is sarcasm, right?

I just heard on the news that the FA's are talking about striking at midnight tonight since the company has asked for the DB pension plan to be tossed aside.

By UAL shedding the DB, pension earners would see a 66% cut in payments.

OUCH!!!

Last edited:
fastbird said:
I just heard on the news that the FA's are talking about striking at midnight tonight since the company has asked for the contracts to be tossed aside.

There has been a lot of talk about if such a strike would be legal. I guess at this point it really doesn't matter.

This was on the AFA website.

http://www.afanet.org/default.asp?id=586

United workers prepare to strike back
BY MARY WISNIEWSKI
Chicago Sun-Times Business Reporter
May 10, 2005

United Airlines flight attendants could strike as early as tonight if a U.S. bankruptcy judge approves an agreement between United and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. that would end pension plans and reduce benefits.

So they go on strike. What exactly would bring them back to work?
This isn't a contract that needs to be resovled. Do they think UA
is going to turn around and start funding the pensions again
in a couple days or weeks? What point are they trying to
make? Do they think Glen Tilton is sitting there right now
reconsidering the pension deal? Not likely.

Morning Wood said:
So they go on strike. What exactly would bring them back to work?
This isn't a contract that needs to be resovled. Do they think UA
is going to turn around and start funding the pensions again
in a couple days or weeks? What point are they trying to
make? Do they think Glen Tilton is sitting there right now
reconsidering the pension deal? Not likely.

I guess it's the only way for these workers to voice their anger. You're right, it won't do a dang thing. I wish them all the best. Unfortunately, my wishes never come true. Good luck guys.

I hope you're happy Tilton with your 5-6 mil a year (salary+bonuses). I believe that's what I saw on the news.?..?

Latest resources

Back