UAL common stock-upgraded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flounder

Heard briefly this morning that today or yesterday major brokerage house upgraded UAL common(or initiated coverage) with a BUY rating.

Obviously, the opinion probably isn't that boom times are just around the corner, but that the company will remain viable and perhaps represents value.

Say what we will about them, Wall Street firms do a lot of research. If I were a UAL employee, I'd simply use the analysts'
comments as a positive sign to add the the mix.

Not to burst your bubble, but most of the major brokerage houses had "Buy" or "Strong Buy" ratings on Enron too...

I wouldn't take to much of what those so called "analysts" have to say... I'm not saying things are doom and gloom at UAL, just stating that most of the "analysts" don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

I agree with Falcon Captain. Analysts have a tendancy to not know what they are talking about alot of the time ( Wasn't UAL supposed to be bankrupt by this summer if the IAM recieved their industry leading contract according to analysts earlier this year), but none the less it is still one more good thing in the press about UAL and the rest of the industry. Most of the press about the airlines has been positive as of late, the best part of the recent upgrade was the following statement:

<<Shares of Chicago-based UAL, the No. 2 U.S. carrier behind Fort Worth, Texas-based American Airlines, recently have lagged others in the group "on the popular (though mistaken) belief that its very survival rests solely in the hands of labor," Baker wrote.

Continental's past success is mainly due to sub-industry wages that will likely increase significantly with new pilots and mechanics agreements, Baker wrote.>>

Finally someone on Wall street is "getting it". I am not saying what this analyist says is incorrect, believe me I am a UAL furloughee and hope to see things continue to improve, but take it with a grain of salt. Although in this case I agree with what the analyst says of course:)

Or... just maybe, that particular individual has mutual funds in his/her company who already own UAL stock... and they plan on selling after the short term pop that they hop for after the upgrade rating makes it into the newswires.

...seen that happen time and time again.

Kav

Or just maybe LePilote is an idiot suckering us all into reading old threads.
Or are we the idiots for not checking the dates first?

Moderators? Once is funny. Doing this repetitiously is a waste of bandwith

UAL mgt has warned MULTIPLE times this stock will be worth approx $0.00 before it is all over. If you have the stomach and means to day trade and get in and out quick, have at it. If not, I wouldn't invest in any airline, and would sell any stock in any airline right now. In what other industry can a lapse of judgement by 1 of your employees, tank the entire company? I'm not going into specific scenarios, but use your imagination.

Last edited:
just stating that most of the "analysts" don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Good thing Lowercur sells insurance for a living huh?

Latest resources

Back