• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL and Mesa Reach Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
[because they're not in our shoes and regardless of how informed they believe they are, don't have all the facts. I do, and intend to vote no with a clear conscience. But it is not an easy decision and JO's history does not lend itself to the theory that we can just bring him to his knees with a simple rejection of this TA. [/B]

You're right, JO in an a$$h0le and one tough SOB. You're also right that I'm not in your shoes, not yet. And that is my point. We as pilots are labor, cost in dollars and cents to management, nothing more, probably less. No, I don't ahve all the facts, but I am intelligent to differeniate well enough (most of the time) between fact and fiction from TV, the papers, union mags and various web boards.

I know this, all airlines operate similarly and have a unanimously daunting view of pilots. I havn't been in the airline business for long, but I think I have a sound understanding of the pendulum. As airline history has demonstrated and others have commented, management sticks it to us in ecnomic downturns for various reasons. Mainly, it is my opinion few people in this world can run an airline efficiently to make money in the best of times so when the sh1t hits the fan, well, we all know the consequences.

I'm almost to my point and nearly finished building my case.

Contract "standards" are fluid and move with the economic pendulum. We pilots, at our respective airlines, made great gains in the mid and late 1990s when the majority of today's regional pilots were not yet in the industry (including myself). Most of us have only experienced the fat times and are totally unprepared to battle the struggle ahead.

Now, I'm not going to call you the "scum of the airline pilot profession" and I'm not going to embrace you as my "union brother" either. Yet, I can't deny that my profession-our profession-my airline's contract, your airline's contract and my job as well as your job are all interdependent. It all flows both ways.

I understand why your POed at others' comments on this board. We don't need to relive it. Instead, we need to support each other because we do in fact all support each other as codependent as our relationship is at times. You guys are worth more than the current TA and definately worth more than the pawns and sacrificial lambs you're made to be in ALPA's sordid bargaining game. You've got my support. What needs to be done next?

Tailwinds...

Climbhappy,

I really don't understand how the UAL and USAir analysis you presented relates to the current discussion about contracts in the regional industry. Yes, the labor groups in those cases made huge "gains" that were unsustainable when the economy went south, and as a result huge concessions are needed at this time. However, it's comparing apples to oranges (I'll have to stick to cliche metaphors for the time being...you've made me paranoid about going out on the limb too far:D ) The regional industry is profitable...Johnny O. could raise your wages without sacrificing margins simply by submitting contract bids that are more on par with the rest of the industry. The only thing that the current contracts do is make JO and his buddies wealthier at the pilot group's expense.

Hud,

I do appreciate the precarious position that you guys are in. Thank you very much for your NO vote. Bottom line guys is that you are worth much more, and that TA is an insult to you...forget what anybody else thinks for a moment. You have all spent thousands of dollars and worked hard to get the 121 job and you should be fairly compensated for your efforts. I hope the rest of MAG pilots toss that thing out with the rest of the garbage. Best of luck to all of you.

Climbhappy,

I really don't understand how the UAL and USAir analysis you presented relates to the current discussion about contracts in the regional industry. Yes, the labor groups in those cases made huge "gains" that were unsustainable when the economy went south, and as a result huge concessions are needed at this time. However, it's comparing apples to oranges (I'll have to stick to cliche metaphors for the time being...you've made me paranoid about going out on the limb too far:D ) The regional industry is profitable...Johnny O. could raise your wages without sacrificing margins simply by submitting contract bids that are more on par with the rest of the industry. The only thing that the current contracts do is make JO and his buddies wealthier at the pilot group's expense.

Hud,

I do appreciate the precarious position that you guys are in. Thank you very much for your NO vote. Bottom line guys is that you are worth much more, and that TA is an insult to you...forget what anybody else thinks for a moment. You have all spent thousands of dollars and worked hard to get the 121 job and you should be fairly compensated for your efforts. I hope the rest of MAG pilots toss that thing out with the rest of the garbage. Best of luck to all of you.

As it relates to what 50 or 70 seat RJ captains should make: Have any of the MEC groups or for that matter have any of the mgmt. groups involved provided hard numbers for the costs related to the 50/70/90 seat RJ's. Such as hourly operating costs ( fuel, maint., crew) and other costs such as ownership or lease costs. It seems like this is the kind of intel that will be needed to make sure a fair deal is being worked on and not some fairy tale.

Latest resources

Back