UAIR pilots to vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

But will they be able to tally before the judge makes his decision tomorrow? The judge will grant UAIR 23% for all the other work groups, and probably withhold a decision on the pilots pending the tally. UAIR released this statement after an acrimonious session in PIT. I'm sure the threat of a lawsuit from members played into this decision. I'm guessing a 65 to 70% majority will rule the day. The seniority deal is out the window if this passes, so Freshwater and the other seniors can bump less senior pilots if they decide to go all Airbus. We'll see if job actions will eventually prevail.

Reuters
US Air Pilots to Vote on Pay-Cut Proposal
Wednesday October 6, 3:43 am ET
By John Crawley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Bankrupt US Airways took a crucial step toward securing $300 million in concessions from its pilots union late on Tuesday when leaders of the labor group said they would forward a plan to cut wages and benefits to all pilots for a vote.

The 12-member executive committee of the Air Line Pilots Association has been sharply split on the need for more wage and benefit reductions, and key members had blocked previous efforts to let the group's 3,200 pilots decide the matter for themselves.

Tuesday's decision to forward the proposal that includes an 18 percent wage cut was preceded by an acrimonious day-long meeting in Pittsburgh. Pilots, like other unions at US Airways, are under enormous pressure to agree to concessions to avoid court-imposed cuts.

The company is set to go to bankruptcy court in Virginia on Thursday to press the need for temporary forced concessions, which would cut more deeply than anything that would be reached voluntarily.

"We have again stepped up to save this company so that it can emerge from bankruptcy and demonstrate sustained profitability," said Capt. Bill Pollock, chairman of the Master Executive Council for the US Airways pilots.

US Airways has struggled for months to get its major unions to agree to nearly $1 billion in new annual cost savings to help it restructure as a low-cost carrier and survive. The company hopes voluntary cuts taken by pilots, its most powerful unionized work force, will prompt other unions to go along.

"We have enormous respect for Capt. Bill Pollock and the (executive committee) for their leadership and good judgment in passing a resolution that allows our pilots a choice in the direction of this company," said US Airways chief executive Bruce Lakefield.

Flight attendants, mechanics and airport workers are talking to the company, but there are no indications that agreements are close.

BITTER NEGOTIATIONS

The big unions filed sharp objections on Tuesday with the bankruptcy court to the airline's bid to impose savings that include a 23-percent across-the-board cut in wages and reduced pension contributions.

US Airways says it needs to save $38 million a month over the next few months to pool enough cash and survive past January.

The Association of Flight Attendants said US Airways has "neglected to meaningfully pursue negotiations" on voluntary contract modifications, and instead "seeks to use the hammer" of the bankruptcy court to force a solution.

Mechanics represented by the International Association of Machinists (IAM), which has so far refused to reopen its contract for new concessions, took the criticism a step further by blasting the company's reorganization plan.

The IAM says the restructuring is "anything but realistic" and depends mostly on "slashing labor costs to the core" while "hoarding unrealistically high levels of cash."

US Airways spokesman David Castelveter reaffirmed the company's immediate need for cost cuts and defended the reorganization's course.

"We believe that we have a strong plan, one that with the right cost structure will not only make the company prosper but will enable it to become more competitive," Castelveter said.

The company announced management cuts on Monday exceeding $45 million annually, including hundreds of job cuts and wage and benefit reductions of more than 20 percent.

US Airways entered bankruptcy for the second time in two years on Sept. 12.

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
October 5, 2004
This is Jack Stephan with a US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, October 5th, with two new items.

Item 1. The MEC reconvened its meeting today in PIT, and after discussing the Transformation Plan TA with the Negotiating Committee and ALPA’s legal and financial advisors, overwhelmingly voted to send the Transformation Plan tentative agreement out for a membership ratification vote. This resolution has been posted on the pilots only website under “MEC Information.”

Balloting will begin soon and will close at 10:00 a.m. on October 21st. Balloting information will be mailed and emailed to all pilots in good standing, announced on the code a phone, and posted on the pilots only website. Education materials will also soon be sent out, which will include a Chairman’s letter, the text of the TA, a TA fact sheet, and a detailed position paper listing advantages, disadvantages and the alternatives of the major Tentative Agreement provisions, as required by MEC resolution. These materials will also be available through mail, email and the pilots only website. Road shows have also been scheduled. The revised schedule is as follows:

Friday, October 8 in CLT at the Renaissance CLT Suites at 10 a.m.

Monday, October 11 in PHL at the Renaissance PHL Hotel Airport at 10:30 a.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 12 in BOS at the Holiday Inn Boston-Logan Airport at 10 a.m.

Wednesday, October 13 in DCA at the Crystal Gateway Marriott at 10 a.m.

Thursday, October 14 in PIT at a location to be determined at 9:30 a.m.

The location of the PIT meeting will be announced on the code-a-phone and website as soon as it is available. The Comm Center will be reactivated shortly. The dates and times of operation will be announced on the code a phone and website.

Item 2. The Council 41 reps sent a letter to their pilots yesterday that compares our current contract provisions to provisions that they believed would be implemented if a judge would grant the Company’s 1113(e) motion, and also compares those items to provisions from the tentative agreement reached last week. This comparison is incomplete and misleading because an 1113(e) motion is for short term economic relief only.

The TA should be compared to long-term relief that would be sought in bankruptcy under the provisions of 1113(c). According to our advisors, an 1113(c) motion would contain provisions no better than the TA, and could in fact, contain some provisions that would be much worse.

Please refer to official MEC documentation for your decision making. Make every effort to attend one of the roadshows. And as always, demand the facts, and take advantage of all the educational tools we will provide for your deliberations.

Please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

LearLove said:

Item 2. The Council 41 reps sent a letter to their pilots yesterday that compares our current contract provisions to provisions that they believed would be implemented if a judge would grant the Company’s 1113(e) motion, and also compares those items to provisions from the tentative agreement reached last week. This comparison is incomplete and misleading because an 1113(e) motion is for short term economic relief only.

The TA should be compared to long-term relief that would be sought in bankruptcy under the provisions of 1113(c). According to our advisors, an 1113(c) motion would contain provisions no better than the TA, and could in fact, contain some provisions that would be much worse.
Typical terrorist tactics. Distort the facts and confuse the membership. I think Fred will find much to his chagrin, that most of his constituancy has grey matter between their ears, and will vote for survival.

If I understand it correctly, the 23% is across the board and only temporary for 60 days, so the new TA if radified, will go into effect after 1113(e) expires.

Last edited:
lowecur, just pray that in your life you'll never have to face the decision that the pilots of USAirways are facing now. Nobody there actually wants the company to liquidate. Sometimes one must vote one's conscience come what may.

lowecur said:
Typical terrorist tactics. Distort the facts and confuse the membership. I think Fred will find much to his chagrin, that most of his constituancy has grey matter between their ears, and will vote for survival.

If I understand it correctly, the 23% is across the board and only temporary for 60 days, so the new TA if radified, will go into effect after 1113(e) expires.
The only reason you give a rats a$$ about this situation is your precious EMB stock. Why should you care if USAir liquidates or stays afloat? You could care less about the employees at this company who are in a terrible predicament. You do not belong on this board. You are not a pilot or an airline person. You are a stock speculator. go hang out on the yahoo finance board, or some other place where you can be among your own kind.

rightrudder said:
The only reason you give a rats a$$ stop using my analogies about this situation is your precious EMB stock. Those 170's would be grabbed up quicker than you could say leftrudder by Republic Airways. Why should you care if USAir liquidates or stays afloat? Because I hate to see fat cat vindictive moron's like Freddy jeopardize thousands of employees and their families for his own self righteous needs. You could care less about the employees at this company who are in a terrible predicament. No, I do care, and that's why common sense will prevail. You do not belong on this board. You are not a pilot or an airline person. You are a stock speculator. go hang out on the yahoo finance board, or some other place where you can be among your own kind. No.

TWA Dude said:
lowecur, just pray that in your life you'll never have to face the decision that the pilots of USAirways are facing now. It's a no-brainer. Nobody there actually wants the company to liquidate. Wrong. Sometimes one must vote one's conscience come what may. Especially when your a few years from retirement, your kids' are grown up, and you don't need the money.

lowecur said:
Especially when your a few years from retirement, your kids' are grown up, and you don't need the money.
Huh? If they didn't need the money they'd have quit already. If it was such a no-brainer the pilots' would be offering more than what the company is asking so they could be more viable. There comes a point when givebacks yield nothing.

Who are you? Your profile doesn't indicate your involvement in the airline industry other than owning some stock. I've flown for two regionals and two majors for the past eight years and belonged to three different pilot unions. Oh yeah, plus I've owned my share of airline stocks and GE.

He is an analyst with no airline experience.

Bye Bye--General Lee

TWA Dude said:
Huh? If they didn't need the money they'd have quit already. I don't need the money, and I haven't quit yet. What kind of a statement is that?If it was such a no-brainer the pilots' would be offering more than what the company is asking so they could be more viable. The no brainer is the yes vote on the TA. There comes a point when givebacks yield nothing. There is no line in the sand when you're out of work.

Who are you? I'm a semi retired insurance agent and amateur analcyst that luvs this business. Your profile doesn't indicate your involvement in the airline industry other than owning some stock. So. I've flown for two regionals and two majors for the past eight years and belonged to three different pilot unions. Gee, you get around alot. Oh yeah, plus I've owned my share of airline stocks and GE. You haven't made much money, unless you've shorted those stocks.:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back