• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ua rfp

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 1000 will be worth something in the future. It's just gonna be a few more years until the movement starts again. Even with all the high time regional pilots, there will be a huge flush to the majors.
Aviation is like deja vu....this same talk went on after 9/11. After a few years, FO's were being hired at Delta...

Fact is that only 700 or so were hired the last round at DAL. That is less than 1/3 of what DAL normally hires in a hiring cycle.

I agree that come 2012 DAL will start hiring and will not stop for 20 years. There are a few years in the end of next decade where we will have at least 800 guys retire a year. The ones starting flight school now will be at the regionals three years and a CA at a major with in four. That means that by the time most of them are 30 they will be where I will be after 25 years in the industry. Timing is everything.

I hear Air Wisky might be taking that flying. Talk about the chickens coming home to roost. Wasn't Air Wisky founded just to do UA flying many years ago?

I hear Air Wisky might be taking that flying. Talk about the chickens coming home to roost. Wasn't Air Wisky founded just to do UA flying many years ago?

It was founded by businessman who wanted to fly from the Fox Valley area to Chicago. DeHavilland Dove, Twin Otters, Beach 99s, Metroliners and a few others since then built up a significant pressence at ORD. The term "code share" was coined by the relationship between United and Air Wisconsin. Then United wanted slots at ORD and so they bought Air Wisconsin. Took the slots, dismantled the company for the most part and then sold it to CJT (Crowley, Jordan and Thompson) in 1993. But for all that time AW did service just United. Then came the Air Tran experiment.

Who knows if AWAC (Air Wisconsin Airline Corp) will win the RFP. It had been rumored that AWAC would never fly for United again unless they had the ground handling contract at ORD for Express flying. Then they bid on and it is rumored that AWAC did win the ground handling at ORD. So maybe AWAC is already in and just waiting for the announcement to return to the UAX fold. Who knows.

What I still wonder is if the "Air Wisconsin Exception" is still in the United scope. I believe it was section 1 - K - 22. It listed by tail number the BAE-146s they had operating in UAX. It also states AWAC can replace them one for one. I wonder if the CRJ 1000 will fit into that exception.

Your so cool , oh to have 1000 pic and 5000 total and contacts at other carriers your probably like one of ten thousand guys that have all that...........

Thats true, when everyone has 1000 pic its no longer valuable. However, people have short memories.... in the late 1990s, airlines were hiring MANY FO's without pic.. Plus if airlines need people, they will hire the ones they like, not the ones who think they " deserve it".

It will take more things to stand out in the future.

Your so cool , oh to have 1000 pic and 5000 total and contacts at other carriers your probably like one of ten thousand guys that have all that...........

This very moment you're absolutely right. Ten years down the road? No way. Looking at the retirement numbers in the next 10-15 years the majors could empty every regional seniority list and still not have enough.

My prediction is within 10 years the Majors will start to consistently hire pilots with no PIC time.

PIC time, for the most part, shows that you are capable of passing training and operating day to day as a Part 121 captain. Once you have 1000 of it, that experience box is mostly checked off and other things start to become much more important.

Someone who has 1000 PIC, knows the right people, and knows how to interview will get the job first every single time before someone who has 5000 PIC but knows neither.

Last edited:
Fact is that only 700 or so were hired the last round at DAL. That is less than 1/3 of what DAL normally hires in a hiring cycle.

I agree that come 2012 DAL will start hiring and will not stop for 20 years. There are a few years in the end of next decade where we will have at least 800 guys retire a year. The ones starting flight school now will be at the regionals three years and a CA at a major with in four. That means that by the time most of them are 30 they will be where I will be after 25 years in the industry. Timing is everything.

Timing is everything in this business....Something to consider when you don't understand where others are coming from...

Is our management MIA at ASA? Are we even actively trying to get the United flying? I know things "fell through" with United a few months back, but does anyone have a clue as to whether or not our management is even putting us in the running this time around?

Latest resources

Back