Ua rfp

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not trying to piss on your parade,

It is not my parade. I feel fortunate to be riding this storm out as a Cpt. but when the storm breaks I have my 1000 and I will have 5000 TT in a month or 2. I will break out of here ASAP. There is just no where to go now. Cell phone is full of contacts at every company. If I hit the streat I could go anywhere when the storm breaks just to stay current. I don't realy care what happens any more than they care about me.

I am just sharing the info that I have.

Mesa still sucks!!!

SkyWest, INC... Not sure if its SkyWest or ASA, but someone at Inc. will get more (or some) UA flying.

I can tell you this with certainty. 27 Mesa CRJ’s 200 are currently in renegotiation. Mesa sent Paul Foley out to IAD to try to improve our on time performance in IAD. We (Mesa) compete with Trans States for dead last every day for D+0. Mesa unlike in the past is currently making genuine efforts to improve on D+0. Now with that being said our 700 D+0 rate is as good as or better than any carrier out of IAD. We operate the 2nd highest % of 50 seat jets out of IAD. Us and Trans States competing for last on D+0 every day. Think about it!

Our contract is up some time next year. United has to give us 6 months notice of their intentions. The date is either October 2nd or 3rd. Whatever 6 months after that is could be the date that many of you here have salivated over for years. Of course Paul Foley is saying it will be to restructure not liquidate. (His expertise is as a BK attorney.) Currently we have 12 ERJ’s and 10 CRJ’s parked and collecting dust. $100,000 a month each. Chopping those off of the books in BK is a huge part of the plan. Now that being said, Paul Foley told me personally that J.O. has said he thinks that we have never been in better shape. We have more leverage than ever. In the current economic environment if we send those planes to the desert the holdings company gets jack squat. If they renegotiate the leases on our jets for say $65,000 a month then United may actually want more of them not less. You have to admit regardless of what you think of J.O. as a CEO that the current economic environment is where he shines. The last time this happened he grew Mesa to the largest U.S regional.

According to Paul Foley United is not terribly unhappy with Mesa. Our controllable completion is 100% or near it every day. They want us on time and we do to because each delay cost us money (around $500). All carriers get bonuses based on D+0. Some of the flying that we do such as ORD to Lansing Michigan is very profitable for United. It is a short flight but a long drive. United probably doesn’t want to get rid of all of the 50 seat jet flying but they probably do want to replace some of it with 700’s and cut some of it off and replace it with turbo props.

I have heard rumors regarding the situation at Mesa. Everything from Republic will shut down Frontier in DEN in exchange for all United Express flying to United has already dumped Republic because they now own Frontier and J.O. has already traveled to South America to ink the E170 financing deal to be Republics total replacement.

The truth ultimately probably lies somewhere in between with United renewing the contract with modifications, Mesa declaring BK and restructuring by canceling leases on the jets that we don’t need any more.

For those of you “I hope Mesa liquidates” chest thumpers: Consider the fact that the people who are willing to spend their careers at Mesa will be jobless it that happens. Do you really want 1000 Pilots with 121 experience in the free market right now that are willing to work for a substandard carrier when the airlines start to hire again? Trust me you don’t want Mesa to liquidate right now!

Your kool-aide is very refreshing, especially the one about RAH being replaced by Mesa with ERJ170s. That was really good and tasty. Point well taken though about 1000 pilots on the streets, but there are a couple of thousand pilots especially those involved with Delta Connection and maybe even UAL that are rooting for Mesa's demise. Nothing personal, it's just business.

I can tell you this with certainty. 27 Mesa CRJ’s 200 are currently in renegotiation. Mesa sent Paul Foley out to IAD to try to improve our on time performance in IAD. We (Mesa) compete with Trans States for dead last every day for D+0. Mesa unlike in the past is currently making genuine efforts to improve on D+0. Now with that being said our 700 D+0 rate is as good as or better than any carrier out of IAD. We operate the 2nd highest % of 50 seat jets out of IAD. Us and Trans States competing for last on D+0 every day. Think about it!

Our contract is up some time next year. United has to give us 6 months notice of their intentions. The date is either October 2nd or 3rd. Whatever 6 months after that is could be the date that many of you here have salivated over for years. Of course Paul Foley is saying it will be to restructure not liquidate. (His expertise is as a BK attorney.) Currently we have 12 ERJ’s and 10 CRJ’s parked and collecting dust. $100,000 a month each. Chopping those off of the books in BK is a huge part of the plan. Now that being said, Paul Foley told me personally that J.O. has said he thinks that we have never been in better shape. We have more leverage than ever. In the current economic environment if we send those planes to the desert the holdings company gets jack squat. If they renegotiate the leases on our jets for say $65,000 a month then United may actually want more of them not less. You have to admit regardless of what you think of J.O. as a CEO that the current economic environment is where he shines. The last time this happened he grew Mesa to the largest U.S regional.

According to Paul Foley United is not terribly unhappy with Mesa. Our controllable completion is 100% or near it every day. They want us on time and we do to because each delay cost us money (around $500). All carriers get bonuses based on D+0. Some of the flying that we do such as ORD to Lansing Michigan is very profitable for United. It is a short flight but a long drive. United probably doesn’t want to get rid of all of the 50 seat jet flying but they probably do want to replace some of it with 700’s and cut some of it off and replace it with turbo props.

I have heard rumors regarding the situation at Mesa. Everything from Republic will shut down Frontier in DEN in exchange for all United Express flying to United has already dumped Republic because they now own Frontier and J.O. has already traveled to South America to ink the E170 financing deal to be Republics total replacement.

The truth ultimately probably lies somewhere in between with United renewing the contract with modifications, Mesa declaring BK and restructuring by canceling leases on the jets that we don’t need any more.

For those of you “I hope Mesa liquidates” chest thumpers: Consider the fact that the people who are willing to spend their careers at Mesa will be jobless it that happens. Do you really want 1000 Pilots with 121 experience in the free market right now that are willing to work for a substandard carrier when the airlines start to hire again? Trust me you don’t want Mesa to liquidate right now!
Let me first say that I'm no expert on how things work. That being said .....

I've heard the 1,000 pilots on the street argument before and I don't buy it. I believe there is/will be a set number of pilot slots until the airlines begin to increase capacity. Then the number of slots will increase.

Whether the pilot on the street is from Mesa or Comair, or ASA, or TSA, does it really matter? A furloughed Comair First Officer with zero turbine PIC is going to be just as hungry as a furloughed Mesa First Officer with zero PIC.

I applaud any airline/pilot group that is able to overcome adversity and improve in this environment.

I do think it is low class for one pilot group to wish misfortune on another so that their own life will be better. Mesa has had performance issues. If they can pull it together and win more flying, props to them.

The MBA's will be figuring out who will get the planes/flying. We are all in a competition. We are all fighting for survival and growth. Groups that can produce good numbers will win. Those who can't ..... This is the essence of our free market society. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The interesting thing is that the decisions are being influenced by the actions of crews out on the line right now. Succeeding in this environment is a worthy goal. Given the choice, I will put forth extra effort in order to succeed. Who wouldn't?

I do not work for Mesa.

Last edited:
Let me first say that I'm no expert on how things work. That being said .....

I do think it is low class for one pilot group to wish misfortune on another so that their own life will be better. Mesa has had performance issues. If they can pull it together and win more flying, props to them.

True. Not right to wish bad on anyone else......what goes around, comes around. It's karma, baby!

contract termination clauses triggered on BK filings are completely unenforceable. Think about it, every single contract you sign would contain them to get around bankruptcy restructuring. Bankruptcy courts are there to protect the assets and business of the bankrupy entity, not to recover assets for creditors.

Latest resources

Back