• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA Calling for Interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
M3LTW said it very well. Keep in mind that the pilots here are very angry and ramping up for a long fight, so most of what you here from them is going to be negative. I just try to keep sight of the big picture. I have flown for a few other carriers, including ASA, ATA, and Airtran, and I can say without question that you will not find a safer, more professional, or more standardized group of pilots than you will at United. That alone makes coming to work a whole lot more tolerable - just my opinion.

When I was hired in 2000, United was my first choice airline, as it was for many of us. Today it would not be my first choice, but it certainly wouldn't be my last, either. I would not tell anyone to stay away, its just a matter of personal choice. If you are happy at the regionals or the LCC's, then staying put may be a good option. If you are interested in the variety of flying that a place like United offers, then you might want to consider coming here. Just remember its a cyclical business - the companies that look great now may the ones to "stay away from" in a few years. Good luck with whatever you choose!

WTF 92-95 hours?
Thats time out come December. Have their families seen their pilot/spouses since last year?

Remember, that's just what PBS builds the lines to. Many are able to drop a trip or two, and that combined with sick leave, trading, and vacation prevents most people from timing out.

One of the last guys I flew with was a junior lineholder on the Airbus, and up to that point every one of his lines had been built to 93+ hours. It was only every few months that the big pick allowed him a drop, but when combined with his vacation, one or two sick calls, and the occasional displacement (for IOE's etc.), he had averaged over 17 days off a month for the first 9 months of 2007.

Of course things would be even better if we had more productive trips, but it's not as bad as the numbers make it seem.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back