• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. to Take Over UAL Pilots' Pensions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fam62c, the relative you know is going to go from having whatever his pension is now, I'm going to guess over $100K/year, to the max the PBGC will pay out, which is $40k/year and change. The only retirees to really get the shaft are the pilots. For the most part, mechanics and FAs will be below the max the PBGC pays out.

skykid said:
Fam62c, the relative you know is going to go from having whatever his pension is now, I'm going to guess over $100K/year, to the max the PBGC will pay out, which is $40k/year and change. The only retirees to really get the shaft are the pilots. For the most part, mechanics and FAs will be below the max the PBGC pays out.
Actually, since our FAA mandated retirement age is 60, the max benefit paid out is only $28K. You have to be able to work to 65 to gain the larger benefit.

So taxpayers wind up footing the bill for airline pilot pensions? Well, that pretty much sucks.

B-man, I think you are wrong. I think once you get past 65 you get the max benefit. I'm relying on info from the WSJ though and have not done the research myself. I'll look it up.

skykid said:
B-man, I think you are wrong. I think once you get past 65 you get the max benefit. I'm relying on info from the WSJ though and have not done the research myself. I'll look it up.
Thanks for looking that up. Is the PBGC going to attach and sieze those $550M in convertable notes for the pilot retirement plan?

CatYaaak said:
So taxpayers wind up footing the bill for airline pilot pensions? Well, that pretty much sucks.
As they did for the steel industry and other large defaults on pension plans.

Thanks SkyKid

skykid said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what my relative gets now but he retired in 1986 before the pattern of really huge contracts started so I would doubt it's over 100K but it could be. In any case it sounds like he will get 50 cents on the dollar or less. That's a major bummer. I wonder if the retirement plans for the management team will have their maximum benefits capped at 40K, I doubt it. I guess that my relative is one of the lucky ones, at least he got the full benefit for 18 years and he's careful with his money so I'm sure he will be fine. This is a real kick in the shorts for the pilots that are newly retired or retiring soon. I fly for a regional and all I have is a 401K plan but in some respects that might be good. At least the money is mine and it's there regardless of what happens to the company or me. Anyway, these are troubled times and I guess what will be will be. A lot of people are getting hurt badly in this industry.

"As they did for the steel industry and other large defaults on pension plans."

Actually, every company with a defined benefit plan pays into an "insurance" fund to guarentee pension benefits in case of a termination. Up to this point I don't believe that any taxpayer funds have ever been used to fund a terminated plan.

SOVT said:
"As they did for the steel industry and other large defaults on pension plans."

Actually, every company with a defined benefit plan pays into an "insurance" fund to guarentee pension benefits in case of a termination. Up to this point I don't believe that any taxpayer funds have ever been used to fund a terminated plan.
I knew about the "fund", but I thought the LTV case put them in default at one time.

skykid said:
G4G5, I'm confused. You posted on this board several times how the government would sooner liquidate UAL than take over their pensions. I tried to let you know that was not going to be the case. Any explanations?
I am not too proud to admit when I am wrong.

But, unfortunatly for the folks at UAL this could also be a sign that the Gov feels that with the way UAL is heading they would have gotten the pension sooner or later.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back