• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. Airways bids 8 Billion to buy Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
skywest will be hiring for ALONG time......

Interesting how all the media articles relate to Delta's regional carriers and no attention is paid to Airways' carriers. Even though the combined company would retain the Delta name, this would be basically a hostile takeover of Delta by US Airways.

I believe Air Wisconsin's contract with US Airways was also "affirmed in bankruptcy court"...not to say anything about RAH's Airways contract (which I also believe was part of the restructuring agreement) or Airway's WOs Piedmont & PSA.

If this does actually happen, It'll be a knifefight at mainline, but a total bloodbath at the regionals.

Seats still need to be filled at mainline with feed from regionals. All the seats are full now, doubtful they can cut back much more than they have.

SkyWest will hire until ASA's contract is completed. SkyWest will stop hiring and start at ASA while slashing pay and benefits at SkyWest to match ASA's. All the while stating that if piplots vote in a union, ASA will take all your flying.

Mark my words. The Lord of The Ramp has spoken (or typed).

Interesting how all the media articles relate to Delta's regional carriers and no attention is paid to Airways' carriers. Even though the combined company would retain the Delta name, this would be basically a hostile takeover of Delta by US Airways.

I believe Air Wisconsin's contract with US Airways was also "affirmed in bankruptcy court"...not to say anything about RAH's Airways contract (which I also believe was part of the restructuring agreement) or Airway's WOs Piedmont & PSA.

If this does actually happen, It'll be a knifefight at mainline, but a total bloodbath at the regionals.

And AWAC owns a large stake in Us Air, does it not? That will be interesting.

It would indeed be a bloodbath. Why fly two RJs from ATL and CLT when you could consolidate those pax into one 737? I see the RJs bring cut in half. Not that I believe this merger will actually happen.

And AWAC owns a large stake in Us Air, does it not? That will be interesting.

It would indeed be a bloodbath. Why fly two RJs from ATL and CLT when you could consolidate those pax into one 737? I see the RJs bring cut in half. Not that I believe this merger will actually happen.

Like others have said on these posts (like Johnsonrod, FDJ2 and others), I believe this merger won't happen for a few reasons:

1. Fleet complexity - DL and US only share the 757/767 and yet they use different engines. Way too many fleet types for any synergies

2. Anti-trust - I agree that the route networks completely overlap in the US. Taking capacity and customer choice out of the market will not help the customer. USAirways brings nothing to the table in terms of new international routes - UAL or NWA would at least provide Asia.

3. Big creditors have an active interest in keeping Delta around - Boeing is a big creditor and it does not want to lose another customer in a merger and then have it order Airbus airplanes - US is Airbus heavy...

4. USAirways and AWA have not integrated well and both pilot groups HATE each other - adding Delta to the mix would be a disaster.

Who knows what will happen in the end - anything can happen. But Delta is getting stronger and I think they will convince the judge and creditors that consumers and creditors will benefit long-term from being independent and growing...

????

Ding ding. Also a republican admin. will be more unlikely to interfere. While the UAL/USAir merger was blocked by the justice department in July '01 when Bush was in office, the decision was largely made by Clinton's people. At least that is the way I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not picking on you specifically TNPILOT just using your post to ask a generic question. Why are so many people hanging their hats on the DOJ rejecting this deal based on UA/UsAirways? That merger was announced before the election of 2000, and there was no way justice was going to tackle it before the new admin was decided. You had powerful people supporting the merger, and others against it and spewing out bills left right on everything from arbitration for negotiations to crazy schemes to limit the number of gates/flights a carrier could have at a hub-Hollings(sp?)from SC I think had that last one. Basically the DOJ did the 90 day stonewall thing until Bush officially took office in '01, then they started to look at it earnest. They did one more 90 day stonewall in May I believe, basically I think to wrangle the final concessions needed out of UA: DcAir operated by AA, gate/slot concessions for city pairings identified as overlapping, etc. They were likely to approve the deal in Aug '01 which is when the deal terms were up. During that time, UA got cold feet about overpaying at $60 a share for what they were getting from Airways' in a detiorating industry climate. Fares were falling, Airways wasn't as strong in their markets as UA thought, they were taking too many Airways planes and employees with the deal, agreed to a big pay protection package to keep the UA pilots quiet, and so forth. Goodwin pulled the plug on the deal in July ahead of the DOJ's approval, and tried to blame it on DOJ. He did that because UA would owe Airways alot less if DOJ rejected the deal vs. UA pulling out. It blew up in Fatwin's face after DOJ took the unusual step of publicly denying that they had stopped the merger, and a whole bunch of senators and constituencies started woofing that they were going to somehow force UA back into the deal. Of course that failed, but the damage was done, and I bet Goodwin/UA would have loved to have had that political horsepower back two months later when 9/11 hit.

Long story, but the point is I wouldn't hang my hat on DOJ tossing this bad boy.

This takeover is a double edged sword for many people (management, employees, DOJ,), but for most of all mr. john and jane doe taxpayer. No one can argue that this won't lead to reduced capacity, most likely higher fares on numerous routes, and a slashed work force. However, industry analysts have been saying all along that something like this needs to happen in order for this so called industry to stay alive. Although the airlines may be making a small profit margin, what happens when another attack happens or fuel prices spike to absurd levels again. Will the government be there to bail out these airlines with citizen's tax dollars? After all the commotion over the past 5 years, you'd think that the gov't would be in favor of this deal just to "stablize" an absolutely brutal business of cut throat marketing and ticket sales. The fact of the matter is that if this deal makes it to the DOJ, don't look to them to put the brakes on anything.

It's the Adam's-apple....

Hey QUACK. Did you know that your AVATAR is really a MAN? I mean, what kind of girl has size 11 feet. I've heard that she is the "Hilton Secret!!":laugh:

...that's what really scares me!

I think this merger is brilliant. The overlap is what sells the deal. Think about how many cities have both Delta Connection and US Air Express operations. Cut your ground ops by 50% and add a 70 to 90 seat airplane instead of two 50 seat RJ’s and wha la your lining your pockets with cash.

Look at our pay rates, I took my year pay scale and divided pay by the number of seats on the airplane.
135 = 1.69
140 = 1.41
145 = 1.40
170 = 1.05 with 70 seats
170 = 0.96 with 76 seats
175 = 0.94

If we flew the 175 at the same rate as 145 per seat captain cost, seven year captain pay would be $120.06 per hour.

This is before the fact that they will give us the big “If we don’t lower our cost then we’ll lose flying” speech.

You put bigger planes on the shuttle routes, fire half the ground people at dual out stations, combine ops in BOS, make CLT, SLC and CVG focus cities, Fifty seat RJ use is cut by 40%, All the MD-80’s and 73 200-500’s go to the desert, Boing gets a big order for the 787 and the only question then is how many parachute do you have for the Delta Execs?

Damn why am I not an Airline Exec?

Latest resources

Back