• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blzr

Pilots spat endangers US Airway's recovery
Hard-liners replace two on union bargaining team
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A tug of war within the pilots union is threatening to derail US Airways' detente with its most influential workers group and is endangering the airline's recovery plan.

"It's bad," New York airline analyst Ray Neidl, who covers US Airways, said yesterday. "I think the pilots have moved one step closer to being unemployed."

An angry faction of pilots ousted two members of the union's bargaining team Friday and replaced them with negotiators willing to take a tougher bargaining stance with the company.

The change was made by four union leaders from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia who have been arguing that rank-and-file pilots want "change" and that union negotiators have been in power too long and have made too many concessions to US Airways.

The new chairman of the negotiating committee, Doug Mowery, is a former union leader from Philadelphia who tried unsuccessfully last month to replace union chairman Bill Pollock.

The change comes only weeks before the company is expected to approach the pilots about wide-ranging concessionary talks.

US Airways Chief Executive Officer David Siegel, who has said he needs to cut $1.5 billion from the carrier's expenses this year if US Airways is to survive, wants labor negotiations to begin this month and new labor agreements in place this summer.

Analysts said yesterday that the pilots might have made a bad decision. The airline needs "flexibility" and "cost cuts," Neidl said. "They don't have a lot of time. They have got to get cost structure down pretty quickly."

The pilots thus far are the only group that has agreed to discuss its contract with management, so their internal struggles represent a "setback," said local airline observer Bill Lauer. "I can see lots of things beginning to unravel if something can't be done with the unions in a reasonable amount of time."

The resistance of some union members appeared to stiffen Friday following reports that put Siegel's 2003 compensation in the $8 million to $9 million range and even higher.

But the vast majority of that amount represented stock options that have no value because of the stock's low price -- it closed yesterday at $3.89, almost half the level necessary to trigger the stock options -- and restricted stock that won't start vesting until January.

Siegel's cash compensation for 2003 was $698,890, including a base salary of $600,000.

In an open letter to US Airways employees yesterday, Chairman David Bronner argued that Siegel's pay package was less than what many airline CEOs made last year and less than what Siegel was originally offered to work at US Airways in 2002.

Defending Siegel, Bronner pointed out that the unions have four seats on US Airways' board and thus share responsibility for approving Siegel's pay package. What's more, Bronner argued, is that Siegel had "preserved almost 30,000 jobs" since spring 2002 and defied the experts predicting US Airways' demise.

"We are still here, and we don't have any intention of going away. But we must deal with the changing economics of the airline industry," Bronner said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Dan Fitzpatrick can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1752

us air is going under

with the current state of the airline biz and fact that this industry is going through basement remolding .US AIR even after chapter 11 Bankruptcy still has there head in the sand about there finances . I think with all the internal conficts going on with the union they will be heading for chaper 11 again or out of biz or some other company will buy them out

I love how its always the union's fault that U is failing. If a Company can not make money after being given a $2 billion gift from it's employees and still revises its losses to be greater, my god, could it possibly be an issue other than labor? If I were there I would have to say I am sorry but you are going to have to find your money somwhere else.

DASHDRIVER said:
I love how its always the union's fault that U is failing. If a Company can not make money after being given a $2 billion gift from it's employees and still revises its losses to be greater, my god, could it possibly be an issue other than labor? If I were there I would have to say I am sorry but you are going to have to find your money somwhere else.

Yes, it's called record high fuel prices, record high taxes, and a cost structure that preceeding managments have put in place.

It would be great to see an article that actually acknowledges the fact that Us Airways pilots make less money than SWA pilots on similar equipment. These analyst still seem to think US Airways pilots make more than the LCC's.

In the final analysis, I don't think U's pilots can be faulted. an airline with a poor route structure, too many fleet types, poor decision ( i.e. waiting way too late to put RJs into service) and a problem that festered for over ten years.
There problem s go back to right after the merger and the reccession of 1991. They never fixed it then. near BK in 96. stock at $4/share. the economy goes roaring sand they cvna mask their inefficiencies with huge ticket prices every one paid.

Charlotte was always mentioned as the second highest fares in the country.

I think this is the death of a good company. Piedmont airlines started in my hometown.

You can't fault a pilot for wanting to make money in the up times. they always have to give it back in the downturn. in sum it's a vicious cycle. their demise will at least help stabilize the industry.

Climber

poor decision ( i.e. waiting way too late to put RJs into service) and a problem that festered for over ten years.

I think if you do a little digging, you will find that is was the PILOTS scope clause that prevented RJ's. The fact is that U had the tightest RJ restrictions in the industry (besides United). What do they both have in common? :rolleyes:

Sure they had the tightest scope clause along with UAL but they also had the same CEO that UAL had.....what do they now have in common.

The RJ's would not have save them ,just like the RJ would not have saved UAL from BNK. They have a cost structure that is too high for the market. They still have too many airplane types, they still have a top heavy managment team, some of the employee groups make too much money for they job they were told to do, they have a lousy route structure, they have no corporate leadership, they have too much competition in the market...the list can go on and on but it will not change the fact that whole airline needs a major rework and I am not sure if it can be done it time before it dies off...if I was USAIR I would be beging Gordon to come out of retirement and jump ship. Maybe even Carty to come over to their side, at least he is good at creating operational cost reductions though I would have to watch him onthe pay and bonus side.

now that SWA has growth in PHL and Delta will start hourly service from PHL-ATL in June I hate to say it but it's all over. I'm no expert but i give them 9-12 months. too bad. The rj's won't save them now!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back