U.S. Airways At it again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

When U R comparing US pilots vs. SWA, U can't look at just the pay.

What matters, is what is the employees are making vs. what revenue they are generating for the company.

Basically, all of the US employees are paid the most PER SEAT MILE that the airline flies.

That is, the money that US pays it's employees is the highest percentage of their revenue of any US airline. So, while a US employee may make less per year than a similar employee at another airline, if the ratio of what the US employee makes in comparison to US revenue, the US employee is higher paid.

A problem is that US flies a lot of short trips with relatively small equipment. US's American structure is more like a regional, whereas SWA flies more coast-to-coast trips.

The biggest problem that legacy airlines have, including US, is that they were designed and organized during regulation. I believe that neither the legacy airlines, nor their unions and employees, have adjusted to deregulation.

When a new airline starts up, they are designed and built around a deregulated environment and have a major advantage.

For the US, not to mention DAL or UAL to survive, their organization will have to re-invent itself, which is very difficult to do.

I wish the best for US and it's employees.

Cliff
DTW

rnobson said:
US flies a lot of short trips with relatively small equipment. US's American structure is more like a regional, whereas SWA flies more coast-to-coast trips.

Not so! SWA has one of the shortest average stage lengths of any major - all that intra-California, intra-Texas, Northeast stuff. And they have almost no nonstop transcon flights. And yet they make it work -- high aircraft utilization, lower training/MX with only one fleet type, etc.

BTW, aren't you the Artist Formerly Known as ATP Cliff?

What's killing 'em is that although they've chopped labor costs their seat mile cost haven't really been reduced. What else can their pilots give, their 1st born?

rnobson... I think you hit the nail on the head.

The other carriers have lowered their costs in that respect. Even UAL has got their seat mile figure down close to SWA. USAir is still hovering around 11 or 12 cents. I don't remeber the specific numbers.

Once you start selling off routes or equip. whatever, I think that's it. I think history has shown liquidation in any form is usually the beginning of the end.

I hate it for the employees, I spent some time doing some other work thanks to the "F" word myself.

norskman2 said:
Not so! SWA has one of the shortest average stage lengths of any major - all that intra-California, intra-Texas, Northeast stuff. And they have almost no nonstop transcon flights. And yet they make it work -- high aircraft utilization, lower training/MX with only one fleet type, etc.

Somebody beat me to it.

tim47sip,

sure, i realize it was their scope, but aren't they really their own worst enemy. many great points made by all! wolf's leadership is clearly part of the blame. I had 7 thousand in options expire worhtless when the usair/ united deal of 1996 blew out.

i could of made around 100,000. if the deal had gone through.

i think you could sum it up just like the "accident" chain of events are falling in line. each one in and of itself not altogether catastrophic or fatal but when when you combine the 6 or 7 key points we've outlined here, then its a death sentence.

Re: Re: there a site for you

Dash8301 said:
Yeah that sites a little outdated. That was bfore the consessions

as far as i know us air has not made any consessions this year . so it is accurate

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back