• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TYS gear up landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It won't take long for the video of him bucking the airplane trying to get the legs to lock to make it out on YouTube. The mains were swinging back and forth in a somehwat comical manner.

Now, put yourself in his shoes. With a high wing, bad mains and a good nosegear, do you put it on grass or the runway? He chose grass, but I'd been taught that the risk of flipping was higher on grass. Sure, there will be some sparks on the asphalt, but I've watched several gear up landings that just slid down the runway to a safe halt with minimal sparks.

Personal preference, I guess...

I worked for a flight school that carried around a walking stick in their 172RG, the idea being that you could lean out the door and hook the gear with the handle and pop it into place if they wouldn't go down!!!!

We had it happen at our flight school on the 172RG. Instructor was able to use the tow bar to yank it bank into place.

Same thing when I was in school.

AU?

In the military the mechanics told us to always go with the pavement. Dirt "balls up" under the skin and causes considerably more damage than sliding it across cement.

Oh, get this..... teaching in Hawaii: We have a bunch of veterans with experience ditching light singles in the water. They all recommend GEAR DOWN as you are above the HYDROPLANE speed of the tires and will skip briefly and come to a raging stop UPRIGHT in the water. My DPE demo'd this to me as a CFI by skimming the water!!!!!!! There is a U Tube video of some formation guys doing it too. Lots of stuff is weird out there, but none stranfger than coming from KOA to HNL 300nm out over the Pacific in a single!

It wasn't at TYS I think it was DKX just outside the city. Guy did a great job though. That gear looked like it was just hanging there. He walked away and was talking with the firefighters who were shaking his hand. Well done.

DKX is Downtown Knoxville, just across the river from UT...

TYS is just outside the city of Knoxville.
:D

DKX is Downtown Knoxville, just across the river from UT...

TYS is just outside the city of Knoxville.
:D

True, I instucted at DKX for two years. I didn't get rich, but I have never been around such a great group of people.

Latest resources

Back