• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Typical cost of a 135 certificate???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i wasn't trying to be a wise-ass on the answer, even if it appeared that way. There really is a very small, or maybe even no, value to the certificate itself. In some ways, it may be a hindrance. If there is pending enforcement action or litigation, you may not want to be anywhere near that certificate.
The real value is in the equipment and customer lists. But, even the customers may decide that their loyalty was to the person they knew in the company. So a lot of due diligence is the word of the day here.

Hung

anyone trying to get rich or defray ownership costs of a plane are totally misled in thier thinking. the insurance cost alone make this unpalatable

you should have other revenue streams like an FBO with maint, flight school, avgas sales.

GV Chartered for 100 hours per year-

Revenue ($8K/hour) is $800K, less DOCs of $400K ($4K/hour) provides a contribution against fixed costs of $400K.

You ask the cost, here is the answer. $0.00.

You march yourself down to the local FSDO. Apply for a single pilot certificate. Do paperwork yourself. Wait about 3 months. Get certificate. Fly for a 1/2 year and see if it might be viable. Then, apply for a basic certificate. Do paperwork yourself. Grow a bit there, then get full certificate.
That's what I did. Ended up with multiple aircraft, from 310's to King Airs. Total cost $0

Had both US and Canadian Certificates.
Took a bunch of years, but you have time,,right???

Hung

I did almost the same thing, but a couple of things to add. First, three months is optimistic, depending on your FSDO. I've heard three months (that's about what mine took) but I have also heard 15 months. Second, it was a good investment for me to buy a compliance statement from a consultant who was a former FSDO guy. He actually knew my POI, so the statement was accepted without changes. The CS is a huge deal - mine was over 100 pages for a single pilot - and my guy didn't charge much.

PM for details.

i did my own . it was in the 90's. took about a year. your friend the consultant is a good thing, but be weary of guys trying to make thier house payment by charging 5-10 grand for a 50 page term paper you can do yourself if you sit down and read each reg.
you don't have to be a lawyer, but understand FAA speak. be sure to include "all the subparts of this paragraphs, yada, yada."

i did my own . it was in the 90's. took about a year. your friend the consultant is a good thing, but be weary of guys trying to make thier house payment by charging 5-10 grand for a 50 page term paper you can do yourself if you sit down and read each reg.
you don't have to be a lawyer, but understand FAA speak. be sure to include "all the subparts of this paragraphs, yada, yada."

Try $500. (in '03, not sure what he charges now) I told you it was a good deal.

You won't get a 10 or more Part 135 Certificate for at least 2 years if ever. They don't want to give any out.

Some of the best have tried, but can't get them.

The FAA thinks there are way too many certificates out there and they don't want anymore as they have to dedicated resources to monitor them.

You won't get a 10 or more Part 135 Certificate for at least 2 years if ever. They don't want to give any out.

Some of the best have tried, but can't get them.

The FAA thinks there are way too many certificates out there and they don't want anymore as they have to dedicated resources to monitor them.

I have heard the same about all new certificates. The FSDO's are so short staffed they don't even have enough POI's to assign to existing certificate holders. We have been through 4 POIs in the last two years and haven't had one assigned to us for the last 4 months.

We just got out certificate after working on it with the FAA for 18 months. Certification is the last priority in FSDOs so that is what happens. Costs?? A bunch considered we had to do 20 hrs. of proving runs in a jet. That doesn't include setting up an office, crew salaries/benefits, insurance and the payments on a 6 million dollar jet.

Latest resources

Back