type ratings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Type ratings

Your type rating will carry forward to your ATP. Your type rating is just that, a type rating. It does not relate to the privileges you may exercise as a pilot relative to pay or command of a 121 airliner.

The PTS for ATP and type rating are the same.

For that reason, then, Corky, why don't you wait and do both at the same time? Your profile shows you're nearly there anyway. Two birds with one stone.

Good luck with your type rating.

I belive you can do this, take your atp written before your type ride, that way you can get your atp during the ride since its done to atp standards. so i've heard it being done that way

ATP Ride

And, further to Avbug's comment, in the old (golden?) days of airlines, FOs flew for years with just their Commercial certificates. ATPs were comparatively rare. Virtually no one got the certificate on their own. When FOs finally got their captain upgrade, they took their ATP ride with their airline.

I remember about that about fifteen years ago the commuters were hiring with 1500 total and 500 multi. Having just the ATP written, even that recently, gave you an advantage. Then, more and more people started showing up with the ATP and they started making the ATP a requirement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses,

Bobbysamd,
I hear ya. I am ok Total time but I lack a couple hundred cross country. I'm halfway through the training and my employer (Boeing) had a slot to put me through now. Maybe I can do the ATP in the sim later!

Hey, Corky . . .

Interesting......that explains a lot. Sounds like a prime gig.

Good luck with your training.

No I'm in engineering....new sim evaluation, aero model development, accident investigation, etc. I left to be an eagle pilot but got furloughed. That took me back!

You are lucky they took you back... good company....

From the guy I have known who have worked at Eagle, you are better off where you are....

No offense to any Eagle guys out there....

I must have misread it then. I thought only Category and Class transfered. The only place I have ever found an explination for that is in Gliem.

Latest resources

Back