Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jwdf3day

Hello, I have heard a few different opinions on getting a CRJ type rating. I am a CFI, CFII, MEI, and have been looking around various regionals. My question is, is the general consensus that a type rating would be beneficial, make me more appealing as a new hire FO in a RJ? First instict says yes, of course, anything to distinguish myself from the crowd would be good. Perhaps the question is more would the costs involved in attaining a type rating be worth it for getting a interview/job. Do regionals care if pilots on the lower end of the time spectrum have a RJ type rating? Perhaps I'm off base, but welcome the opinions of those who have the jobs that I'd like to have.

Thanks for your time!

Get typed when you upgrade (for FREE none the less!!). "Regionals" don't care if you're typed or not. It's all about the time and experience. A "bought" type won't do you any good and in my opinion wouldn't help distinguish you from the other folks at the interview in a good way. In fact, it could work the opposite and distinguish you as a low time person who had to "buy" a type rating in lieu of experience. Just a thought.

I think you would be wasting money if you bought the type. Just my opinion.

:D

Are you asking if a CRJ type with your 400 hours would get you a job? If that's what you're asking, the answer is no..

There is absolutely no need for you to waste money buying a type rating that will not be of any help..

Use the money to get some more twin time... That will make you more competitive.

skyslug said:
Get typed when you upgrade (for FREE none the less!!).

Its even better than that: depending on where you work and the length training, you'll get paid around ten thousand dollars to do it when all is said and done...

The only advice I have is to never take any advice from the people who told you it would be a good idea to get your type.

a type rating is a valuable tool. the issue is do you (or anyone attempting to get an interview with xyz) have the minimums required. more importantly do you have competitive flight time.

a 737 is a great type to have but would prob. not do you too much good with 500 hours and applying to a company that doesn't fly or intend to fly them.

as previously mentioned-time and specifically pic time seems to check more boxes.

(advise that was given about letting the company you work for train and type you is rock solid)

best of luck.

fbt

A type rating is about as good as a yellow turd with inserted corn if you have no time in type. That's corporate or airline. You see a million guys get picked up by regionals every month that have no type rating. It's a big fat juicy waste of money. Hell, take that money and invest it in stocks or something.

Thanks again for all your responses. They really do help. I guess I knew the answer to the question before I even posted the thread. I'm just a tad bit antsy with some of the minimums being posted at various regionals (example Express Jet, 500 total, 100 multi), etc. I like flight instructing, don't get me wrong, but it seems the next few months are a great opportunity to get the foot in the door so to speak. The uncertainty of the future is vexing.

Again, thanks for all the replies, you all have been very helpful!

And think about this. Say you buy a type rating in a CRJ. Then you hunt around, interview and get a job that entails flying an ERJ or a turboprop. How useful would that CRJ type be?

Let your airline pay for your type rating when you upgrade. It's much cheaper that way and also, you'll be assured of having the correct type for your job.

Latest resources

Back