Type Rating through Vets / Unemployment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OldTomcat

I keep hearing rumors that some recently retired military folks are getting type ratings through Fed or State VA unemployment programs. I do not have VA education benefits. Has anyone out there done this? What state if state benefit? Do you have a "disability?"

Thanks!

Types

Not sure about unemployment plans providing type training for retiring/separating military guys.

The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) is a state run, federally funded program that provides training for "dislocated" workers.

I qualified as a "dislocated" worker as I was furloughed from my airline. I got the WIA in NC to paritally fund a C500 type rating.

Check with your employment security comission about the WIA and ask if you might qualify as a "dislocated" worker due to your separtion from Active Duty. If you don't ask - they can't say yes!

If you had VA benefits you could get the VA to pony up 60% of the cost for a type rating.

Good Luck

I've always wondered about this: In Texas, if I use the rest of my GI Bill up, the Hazlewood act provides for free tuition at any state school. I have heard that it may also be used for type ratings, but have never encountered anyone who has done it. I'm gonna call the state VA folks on monday, in the meantime, has anyone ever been succesfull doing this?

Latest resources

Back