Type Rating Requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User Name

We have some feds saying that we need 2500hrs. turbojet to get a type rating in a Level C or D simulator. Where is that number coming from? I've searched the regs for an additional rating and it appears there are a variety of ways to meet the requirements to earn a type rating in a Level C or D simulator, but none even require 2500 total time let alone 2500 turbojet. Thanks for your help.

The regs may have changed since he looked at them last.

I haven't looked at that reg in a while but if I recall correctly there are no time requirements to get the type in a sim. The hour requirements determine if there will be 25 hours of supervision required.

Last edited:
I got a type rating at ~1700TT. Not sure what your Fed is thinking. Why not ask him to show you the reg?

hmmm...the best i remember to get a type, on your ATP, in the SIM is to have 2000TT and 500 hrs in type. That is doing the entire type in the sim and not the 85/15 split.

User Name said:
We have some feds saying that we need 2500hrs. turbojet to get a type rating in a Level C or D simulator. Where is that number coming from? I've searched the regs for an additional rating and it appears there are a variety of ways to meet the requirements to earn a type rating in a Level C or D simulator, but none even require 2500 total time let alone 2500 turbojet. Thanks for your help.
I believe that all depends upon the requirements that the particular training center has in its approved curriculum (sp?). There may indeed be some minimum experience levels called for, although 2,500 hours seems a bit much. I believe that FlightSafety has some programs with 1,000 hour minimums.

'Sled

In 2003, one of my old students got a type in his CJ1 with ~800TT. He did everything in the sim at FSI. There were some limitations placed on him but he was flying with a low time CFI in the right seat shortly after.:eek:

Thedude- I did my entire type and ATP ride in the sim with less than 2000TT/500 in type.

A pilot I know did his Citation type at Simuflite when he was 20 years old and had 700 hours total time. All he had was an SOE limitation (since it was his first type and it was accomplished 100% in the sim).

This was within the last year.

English said:
A pilot I know did his Citation type at Simuflite when he was 20 years old and had 700 hours total time. All he had was an SOE limitation (since it was his first type and it was accomplished 100% in the sim).

This was within the last year.

SOE limitation?

He couldn't be PIC until he had 25 hours of operating experience ACTING as PIC.

25 hours of Supervised Operating Experience. Basically, a qualified PIC has to supervise you performing the duties of PIC. You can not be the PIC until the limitation has been removed.

Latest resources

Back