Type Rating Barrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IrishSkies

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it in the archives....so I would appreciate everyone's advice:

I am a 3500TT guy recently separated from active duty with an ATP and DC-10 Type ratings. All the ads for corporate flying require existing type ratings and I don't have an extra 50K lying around the house to send myself to Gulfstream 101.

Can anyone offer advice for breaking down this type rating barrier?

Its less of a barrier than you might think.

WHO you know means a lot more.

FWIW - I never met the minimums for any job I got (and Im a known douchebag around here- ha!)

Heck, I dont even meet the advertised requirements for my departments new hires today.

Ignore those "requirements", get face time and sell yourself -- good luck!

Last edited:
I can't agree more with G200. Let your personality and the experience speak for you. People who go out a buy types, in my opinion, "Screw up the industry" by showing companies people are willing to pay to get the job.

jschroed said:
I can't agree more with G200. Let your personality and the experience speak for you. People who go out a buy types, in my opinion, "Screw up the industry" by showing companies people are willing to pay to get the job.

Exactly.

We were approached recently by a soon-to-be retired airline captain who, while being a really nice guy, was hinting around about the feasability of using him as a contract pilot if he bought his own Challenger type.

There are so many things wrong with that I couldn't begin to list them all.

Let me add that, as an Air Force guy, you will have a leg-up on just about any job applicant in most cases and especially at companies that have alot of ex-military types. But you probably knew that already.

Last edited:
Irish...If you have any friends, contacts, or instructors...whatever that are in the industry now is the time to renew friendships and lines of communications.

I was out of work for 18 months and my current job came through a friend from 25 years ago who I had kept in contact with over the years...my friend remembered me, the owner liked me...hired.

Very much who you know, and being in the right place at the right time.

Thanks for the encouragement

To all those with words of encouragement,
I really appreciate your time and mentoring. I have a couple of little copilots running around the house and I think the lifestyle of corporate aviation is more my speed. QOL! Now I just have to land a job.....pun intended.

Thanks,
Irish

Gulfstream 200 said:
Its less of a barrier than you might think.

WHO you know means a lot more.

FWIW - I never met the minimums for any job I got (and Im a known douchebag around here- ha!)

Heck, I dont even meet the advertised requirements for my departments new hires today.

Ignore those "requirements", get face time and sell yourself -- good luck!

Douchebag says WHAT? ;) 65 degrees down the shore this weekend Gman...time to pack the car! Maybe you got room to stick Ricey? Unless he's flight planning for KASE?:beer:

Gumby said:
Douchebag says WHAT? ;) 65 degrees down the shore this weekend Gman...time to pack the car! Maybe you got room to stick Ricey? Unless he's flight planning for KASE?:beer:

G, I'm there, line up the babes.

shiiit, who am I kidding I bet I will be slaving for the man.

Summer will be here before you know it boys.

:beer:

Types

It is who you know, I have to think, about 90 percent of the time, when you are talking NICE Corporate jobs. While we would prefer not to have to type a pilot, we hire for the man, not the rating. My company spent $50000 plus, on my relocation and a G4 type when I had 2400 hours TT and a Hawker rating. 5 and a half years later and a Challenger type, the company still believes in me. I had met the chief pilot once, and a year later he tracked me down to contract for them overseas for almost a year. Then another year and a half later got the call to work full time. Become an airport rat if need be, and meet evryone you can. don't blow smoke and be yourself. Good Luck and thanks for your service to my country.

Latest resources

Back