Type A or B RNAV STARS ( KLAS)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjet

A little help from someone smarter than me. I just recently flew into LAS McCarran, while that's not unusual the clearance getting part was. Here Goes

I am flying a Westwind I with dual KLN 900's (yeah I'm sorry too) and RVSM. I file for FL220 and as a slant "L". According to The AC that's what a gps (slant "G")and RVSM aircraft should file as. Clearance comes back and gives me the Kepec arrival. I ask clearance to check the remarks section of my flight plan(No type A or B RNAV SID or STARS) and they come back and say that center's computer will automatically give me the Kepec if I file as a slant "L".
OK, we're only going to Vegas from VNY so I say file us as a slant"G", 1 minute later same answer. I ended up filing as a slant "A".

Has anyone else had this problem. If there are any Lacy pilots on board I'd like to know what you do, You guys do this trip more than anyone.
Can anyone shed a little light.
Thanx

We have the same issue with the GNS-XLs' in our Hawker. KLAS did the same thing to us. Use /L as well. For some reason ATC computers assign us a type A or B. The GNS is not approved for them yet. We are looking at an upgrade to our equipment that Honeywell has come out with to cure the problem. I could be wrong but I think ATC is mistaken. Just my two cents worth.

Unless we are over looking the obvious, ATC's equipment is at fault. Any other airports with Type A or B RNAV SID or STARS having the same problem?

we were told our gnsxls can be upgraded by 'one rnp level' for 10000$, and the 'full deal' for 63000$. whatever that means.
Or we could be reasonable, and get a UNS.
Same problem with the rnp procedures here; /L

I've been filing /K with no problem(LAS,TEB,FLL and the like) ...we have the old universal 1M. I think ATC is geared toward using/assigning the rnav arrivals because "most" people have the equipment and of course its the latest and greatest.

In your case, /L indicates GPS with enroute and terminal capability...their computer equates that with /Q.

I just ran this through the VNY FSDO and they couldn't answer me, so they referred me to LA Center, who then got someone in DC.
It appears a can of worms has been opened. It appears we will have another equipment suffix. slant idiot. I'll keep you posted.

It looks to me like you just need to file /W. That gets you RVSM and nothing else. L indicates you have WAAS, which I don't think the 900 has. I also have a westwind with the old universal 1M and we file L, which is probably wrong, but the chief pilot insists that is the correct code. I think probably the universal 1M qualifies for a /K.

/W indicates RVSM , but no GPS which doesn't seem right if you want to fly using GPS. The way I Read it, /L is correct - /G with RVSM. The way I see it, the important part is indicating "No RNAV SID's or STAR'S" in the remarks, regardless of the fact that ATC computers don't recognize it properly. For instance we are certified for RNP 1 enroute, but our GPS's are not type A or B compliant. In order to fly the "Q" routes in the gulf we have to file /Q. That only leaves us with to remarks to indicate that we can't fly the RNAV STAR's. Just my 2 cents.

Latest resources

Back