• Start date
  • Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew with a former Continental intern back in January. He was all uptight because he had an interview and was eighty hours short of the "intern" PIC requirement. He had less than 1500 TT and I believe 320 PIC part 91. He flew out and had lunch with a chief pilot the week before his interview and "smoothed" things out regarding the missing time. He told me that it was not fair that he had to have 400 hrs PIC. I told him to review his perception of fair and quit whinning. This kid was a good pilot and new the books very well. However his attitude, maturity level and CRM were very lacking. I suppose Embry Riddle could not teach him everything. Some senior captain at Continental will wind up B**ch slapping him on approach.

Now to get back on topic. I believe that we will have 2005 hires holding captain on this next bid. On the last Aug 2006 bid we were only getting 2 777's and we had over 500 vacancies with 200 captain vacancies. This next bid we are getting a net 15 aircraft(30 new 800,900er's, parking 15 300's) so we should see a large captain vacancy again. Now if we receive the majority of our new airplanes after Aug 2008 then the numbers will be lower but I think you will see another large captain bid with 05 hires holding EWR and possibly 01 hires holding IAH.

I flew with a former Continental intern back in January. He was all uptight because he had an interview and was eighty hours short of the "intern" PIC requirement. He had less than 1500 TT and I believe 320 PIC part 91. He flew out and had lunch with a chief pilot the week before his interview and "smoothed" things out regarding the missing time. He told me that it was not fair that he had to have 400 hrs PIC. I told him to review his perception of fair and quit whinning. This kid was a good pilot and new the books very well. However his attitude, maturity level and CRM were very lacking. I suppose Embry Riddle could not teach him everything. Some senior captain at Continental will wind up B**ch slapping him on approach.

Minrest, above are the hard facts you asked me to prove and I am sure the above mentioned story is not a one of a kind.

Now to get back on topic. I believe that we will have 2005 hires holding captain on this next bid. On the last Aug 2006 bid we were only getting 2 777's and we had over 500 vacancies with 200 captain vacancies. This next bid we are getting a net 15 aircraft(30 new 800,900er's, parking 15 300's) so we should see a large captain vacancy again. Now if we receive the majority of our new airplanes after Aug 2008 then the numbers will be lower but I think you will see another large captain bid with 05 hires holding EWR and possibly 01 hires holding IAH.

do you know how to pull up the old system bids...not the results, but the initial vacancies. PM me.

Minrest, above are the hard facts you asked me to prove and I am sure the above mentioned story is not a one of a kind.

he said he was interviewing, not hired. If the post is accurate then that person has serious attitude problems and they will come out during the interview. I would be interested to know if he was hired. And if he was...good for him.

Last edited:
What is stopping ANYONE from getting an internship, befriending the CPs at the golf course, knowing someones dad, mother, what have you. If I had my act together maybe I could have gotten a UAL internship in college and been hired there with 1200 tt, I was too busy doing stupid stuff and had to get my CFI and buy my job at Coex.....:bawling:

My point is anyone can get an 'in'. And if you had that valuable resource it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

I hope flaming the CAL group makes you feel better, but this is the real world, its not what you know but who you know and who you ****

Last edited:
Wow..didn't take long for this subject to get off track!

CAL EWR 737...u taking too many study breaks from that 756 stuff! Did you frame your 20 year letter yet? :)

You are really something! I told you about my background and that I couldn't get hired by CAL today because I didn't finish my degree, how about showing some balls and telling everyone significant details about your background?

Yes, CAL has hired some low time pilots but they have hired many very qualified pilots from various backgrounds. Overall our pilot recruitment department has done a solid job. Have some slipped through the cracks and probably shouldn't have gotten hired yes, but that happens at every carrier! UAL hired pilots in the 60's with only a private pilots license. As with many things in life timing and luck is everything and what happens isn't always fair but it's called life deal with it!

Latest resources

Back