Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two more interviews and I'm calling it Quits For Aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
giving up?

Bottom line nothing in aviation is easy and the same hold true to being a cop been there for 12 years now back to flying. If you give up that easy would give up that easy to say your own butt in lethal situation as cop or saving your partners butt?
I would re-think things a bit from both sides. How many interviews have you gone to? After you were not offered the position did you ask why or what you can do to improve? Many on this board instructed for many years before getting a job. The time of getting hired at a regional with 500/100 was unheard of years ago. It seems not only in aviation but the younger generation expects things to be handed to them. Just my two cents which isn't much Best of luck

As a law enforcement officer who is considering doing flying for drug interdiction operations (btw, I was a CFI/II/MEI cool-aid drinker who thought aviation was for me until I realized that it wasn't), I can tell you that the hiring process for LE is much more difficult than the airlines. At a minimum, you'll have to pass the following (most, but not all agencies):

1) Written test
2) Physical abilities test (most people fail right HERE)
3) Psychological examination
4) Polygraph examination (knock out a few more here too)
5) A background investigation where the investigator will pick the peanuts out of your turds just to find out if you really did drop acid back in the 9th grade.
7) Oral board interview that is akin to some twisted form of interrogation that you'll soon be exacting on others.
8) Medical examination (expect to be probed and it'll be good practice for when you get those memos from the Chief).
9) Drug test

If you can fast track into the system, it'll be 2 to 4 months and that's grossly optimistic. Usually, it can take years (esp. in the federal system). The upside is a 20 year retirement, a take home vehicle (in some positions), decent (not spectacular) pay, and the opportunity to see some of the most bizzare aspects of human nature. Btw, the hiring boom in LE will dry up as soon as our boys and girls are back from Iraq. A flying job in LE is very tough to get, but it's possible.

The airline hiring process is cake compared to LE.

Last edited:
I once had a job offer for a federal agent position. I didnt take it, and I have still not decided if it was the right choice or not. I probably could have been flying for them by now.

I do think there is a lot to be said for a retirement and the financial security it can allow. Just knowing you have a job and that you will have a retirement, would certainly take away some financial stress.

I still think the best flying job is full time ANG. Or maybe an AF pilot at Edwards DET 3

Latest resources

Back