Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two more interviews and I'm calling it Quits For Aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two more interviews? Heck, why waste your time. Get started on what you want NOW! If you saw a stock that had a five year decline in price with nothing to indicate a change was imminent, would you invest in that stock? Then why invest something far more precious than money: your life, in something with so little chance of a decent return.

Warren Buffett would tell you that he took the hit on his failed investments and then moved on. You can't dwell on failure and expect to succeed. And this industry does not reward sacrifice. It consumes sacrifice and your years and expells misery and a few bucks out the tailpipe in order to move your career along a path that you will find you have little say in.

Sorry. I guess you should have fast forwarded to the end of the John and Martha King video, where they go through all this.

You're way too early in the game to even contemplate that you've given it half a chance. You have no experience and you're applying to entry level jobs...giving aviation the "finger" at this point is roughly akin to walking in revolving door and heading back out in the same pass. You're giving up based on what? What you haven't seen or done yet? What sort of criteria is that?

If you're not happy, then get out...you can figure that much out. Yet you didn't make your statement or ask your questions because you're convinced of it, else you'd already be gone. You're looking for resons to stay in the industry, because that's what you want to do. You're just trying to find a way to justify it.

The best I can tell you is that if you have to justify it, you probably won't make it. Aviation isn't the easiest row to hoe. You need self-motivation to push through what can be long, lean years with little coming in, the cyclic downturns in the industry that will becoming up again in a few short years, and the changes that often take place unexpectedly in this business.

You might find a pension, but chances are that you'll go through multiple employers, an won't have one anyway. There is no job security in this business. Many who have been furloughed over the pastt few years have been living with their heads under the sand, and amazingly were surprised to learn this. Retirements were raided, pensions went away, and what many took for granted finally became a wakeup call. If you're not prepared for this reality, you're not prepared to be in aviation.

Again, you wouldn't be asking if you didn't want to find a reason to stay. The best advice I can give is that if you want to be here, then be here, and don't look back. Much like crossing a high, narrow bridge...don't look down. Concentrate on where you're going, avoid making comparisons between your position in this business and others, and enjoy what you want to be doing. If you're not happy, then you're right, it's time to get out.

Don't delude yourself. You haven't given the industry enough of a chance, and you haven't the experience yet to be seeking a significant job...a little patience goes a long way, and you will need it in this business. Do this; open a fortun cookie and follow whatevr advice you get. It's nearly as accurate as the science of predicting what will happen in this industry, and at least you'll have some guidance. Good luck.

Then there is always the fact that a unhappy person won't be happy no matter where they are. They're too busy practicing being unhappy.

Too busy practicing "I'm going to fail" and "I'll be rejected" to even bother thinking about what would happen if they were accepted. Walk into the interview, looking down, dressed poorly, hunched, a sigh of despair in their voice, weakly 'give me a job damnit' slips out. McDonald's tries not to hire folks like this.

If you're so worried about retirement, get an IRA started. It's not too late to put away 4-5,000 for 2006, and get another 4-5000 going for 2007. Why wait for some cutthroat company to pretend they offer a pension, then when you need it, they get rid of it in bankruptcy court? Eff you is the mantra of today's employers, be they airlines or law enforcement positions. Unless you work for the Federal or a Triabal Government, you're going to change jobs multiple times through your career, and 401(k) rollovers are a PITA.

If you don't look out for number one, you're going to get the short end of the stick every time. Welcome to reality. You have to help yourself, the rest of us are too busy looking out for ourselves than to worry about you.

You could try faking it for your next interview. If you're going to fail anyways, might as well have some fun doing it. If you get the job, highly unlikely if you don't fake it during the interview, try faking it through the training too. Pretend you are happy there: "Jeeze, I'm on call 24/7 for 4 days on and 3 days off. Wow! They aren't putting red hot pokers up my nose, this is really cool!" or "Wow! I'm only the target for live firing exercises every other day, cool!"

Remember to read the fortune cookie fortune and add the words 'in bed' to the end of whatever it says. Batons optional.

Good call -get out now. There are way to many pilots now that thought it would be cooler, and easier, to be a pilot than do somthing else. This profession demands passion and heart. Good luck with what ever you do.

I'm exactly two interviews away from giving aviation the Finger......Don't get me wrong I still have somewhat of a passion deep inside of me for flying, but with what I see happening in this industry I have to admit that things like a respectable pension (whch is non-existent for the most part in the airlines) does matter to me, I have a degree in Criminal Justice and there's alot of great hiring going on in Law Enforcement throughout the country w/ some pretty great sign-on bonuses, and not to mention at least somewhat of a respectable Starting salary......I went all through college doing flying at first as a hobby and then deciding to get the full enchilada(CFI's etc).

Been instructing full time almost two years, and for right now I'm making more cash as a freelance CFI than I probably will at any regional for my first two years....Any hoot anyyone here leave law enfocement and comeback, or Vice versa????
By the way are there any airlines who still even offer pension???

This is easily answered - fly for the military. The pay is very good, there is a guarunteed pension...and you get to fly fast and blow sh!t up. Need I say more?

This is easily answered - fly for the military. The pay is very good, there is a guarunteed pension...and you get to fly fast and blow sh!t up. Need I say more?

If only it were that easy.

Signed,

One of the 'lucky' 1% at MFS (nah I'm not bitter)

If only it were that easy.

Signed,

One of the 'lucky' 1% at MFS (nah I'm not bitter)

It's not "easy," however the end result is easily achievable thru hard work, dedication, and attitude. Everytime a young kid runs up to me at an airshow, I tell them they'll have no problem flying in the military with some elbow grease and determination. And yes, luck does have a small part as well - but the major determining factors are far from luck.

Hard work, dedication and attitude won't get you sh!t in military aviation if the fluid pressure in your eyes is a couple points above the FC1 spec...even if the rest of your vision tests perfect.

Hard work, dedication and attitude won't get you sh!t in military aviation if the fluid pressure in your eyes is a couple points above the FC1 spec...even if the rest of your vision tests perfect.

Yeah, sorry bud - that is a true statement...the medical stuff is a black/white issue except for a few waiverable items. And I take it you did your exam from hell at Brooks?

Latest resources

Back