Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two more interviews and I'm calling it Quits For Aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
I'm exactly two interviews away from giving aviation the Finger......Don't get me wrong I still have somewhat of a passion deep inside of me for flying, but with what I see happening in this industry I have to admit that things like a respectable pension (whch is non-existent for the most part in the airlines) does matter to me, I have a degree in Criminal Justice and there's alot of great hiring going on in Law Enforcement throughout the country w/ some pretty great sign-on bonuses, and not to mention at least somewhat of a respectable Starting salary......I went all through college doing flying at first as a hobby and then deciding to get the full enchilada(CFI's etc).

Been instructing full time almost two years, and for right now I'm making more cash as a freelance CFI than I probably will at any regional for my first two years....Any hoot anyyone here leave law enfocement and comeback, or Vice versa????
By the way are there any airlines who still even offer pension???

Stop bitching whiner

Get a life. Can't there be one thread that doesn't drift off to worthlessness? This one didn't make it one post.

SXM, you sound like one more regional lifer that can't stand someone who has the stones to consider leaving that crap job for something that treats him better. Get over yourself, or grow a pair and do the same for yourself.

FWIW, i fly with ALOT of guys who used to be cops or in some sort of law enforcement, and they all say they are glad they made the change.

Hey, you know a regional airline isn't your only option for a career. There are a lot of aviation jobs other than just 'flying the line.' I was talking with a buddy of mine the other day who flies for a regional airline. Even though we both fly airplanes, it's like we have two, totally different jobs. An aviation career is what you make out of it. I still love my job, regardless of much people whine and complain about aviation.

Do what is right for *YOU* and don't plan on having a pension when/if you retire from aviation.

Last edited:
What do they call Customs now, I.C.E.?
That would pay good, you could fly, earn
a pension plus actually see combat!

There are a few flying jobs that still have pension. However, they are hard to get with only flight instructor experience. So that means a few more years of "paying your dues" if you want one of those jobs. And the reality is that even if you pay your dues and want the job you may never get it...

I have a good friend that was in law enforcement for many years, got out to follow his dream of flying, left to make more money as a cop again and now wishes he had staying in flying. It's only one story but its true.

My advice...if you don't have the "heart" to stay in flying because you love it...GET OUT! Guys (and gals) with stories like yours are the worst to work with because they are pi$$ed off their whole career because "this isn't the job they were promised when they started flight school". Go dig a ditch for 8 hours a day or sit in a cubical moving paper for 40 hrs/week...or go be a road cop.

The bottom line is that people spend 10-20 years getting the "good" flying jobs that are out there. So, get out...or keep flying and keep appling. Either way, good luck.

Latest resources

Back