• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two Miles High

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahhh... to be tearing through the Colorado Rockies at 13,500 VFR on top in an overweight Chieftan. It wasn't the most glamourous job, but it certainly provided the best view.

Hello to all the current and former Barnacle drivers in CO or San Juan!

Skyking

What about anyone flying below sea level?

The Dead Sea is around 1200 ft below sea level. What would the altimeter do?

Isn't Death Valley a few hundred feet below sea level in a few areas?

A friend and I concocted a plan back in high school to set the world record for flight below sea level. Had it arranged and planned out, but lacked the finances. We never did do it, but as I recall the former record was something like seven hours aloft at the time, and we figured we could have easily beaten that. Not a glamorous record, but for a couple of teenagers, it was an exciting idea.

Potentially true, but could that performance be used? Climb rate might be much better, but if one intended to remain below sea level, one wouldn't be doing much climbing. Takeoff performance might be good, but there are few places to takeoff and land below sea level...and most of the time density altitude places them well above sea level.

On a standard day below sea level, the chance to overboost even a fixed pitch, normally aspirated engine does exist. Even though it's an unboosted engine, the higher manifold pressure below sea level may place this engine outside certification limitations. This begs the question as to weather or not the engine would need to be operated at reduced power due to excessive maximum manifold pressure.

On the subject of record setting, of course, one would be at maximum endurance, for the purposes of staying as long as possible below sea level. Performance would never be an issue.

However, if they ever hold air races at or below sea level, for normally aspirated engines...

Furnace Creek Airport in Death Valley is the only airport that I know of in the US that is below MSL. I believe 127ft below. Avbug?????? And I don't think a Cessna 150 would perform too well there. Especially in the summer.

I didn't say it was a good idea. I was sixteen at the time. Whaddayawant? I was a stupid kid. Now I'm a stupid adult.

It's still feasible, however, All one needs is enough altitude to clear the gear.

Latest resources

Back