Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Twin Insurance Requirements?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web


just a member, not senior
Nov 26, 2001
I know this is a pretty vague question, but is there a certain number of twin time to have before an insurance company would cover an owner? Specifically a piston twin, under 12,500GW?

I know must FBO's want at least 250 tt, with 25 make and model and inst ticket. I assume that this requirement is from the FBO's insurance to rent the aircraft.

Can any twin owners out there shed some light?
I'm looking into flying a private owner's Cougar, and we just spoke to his insurance company about what I'd need to fly the thing. They quoted 300TT, an Instrument Rating, 50 multi with 5 in make and model, or in leiu of the 50 multi, 25 make and model.

Of course, a Cougar is a much different plane to insure than say, a Baron 58, or something in that class.
Thanks Bigd.

Are you in Big D?
Most beautiful part of Texas down in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the info.
I flew a new aron for an indvidual last year and they wanted something like 1200 TT with 250 multi and 25 in type. Then again it was for a brand new one.
Multi Insurance

In most cases I'm familiar with from instructing owners, the insurance company required 25 instruction in type (310, Barons, Senecas, etc.) and the rating before turning them loose; some cases the insurance also required 5 hours solo before carrying pax. recently, with a new $800K BE-58, they required the 25 hours training, plus ground school and sim training at Simcom or Flt Safety. I think it sometimes depends on how much the company wants your business and how you want to negotiate. In one case, I was OKed to provide the trainingbut was told I couln't fly the a/c solo "because they didn't insure my age bracket''. That restriction was cancelled with a FAX a couple of days later for some reason ---- (maybe their lawyers balked)
I've owned a 58 Baron for 4+ years now and as I look on the back of the policy it states that an individual must have 750 TT, 250 ME and 50 hrs in make/model to fly the plane. They also must be a private, commercial, or ATP with instrument rating as certified by the FAA.
Now this only accounts for my policy and who may actually fly my airplane under this policy. It doesn't pertain to insuring a new owner or owners. Also, these are from June of last year, meaning pre 9/11.

Any other questions, let me know.
Insuring a light twin

Hey there,

Insuring a light twin can be an expensive proposition these days. From an underwriting standpoint it really comes down to these issues. Make and Model, and of course the age of the A/C. Pilot experience and currency as well as location of the A/C are huge issues as well. The third important underwriting issue is how much insurance are you looking to carry with respect to liability? Obviously the higher your limit is(eg $1 million or more) the more risk you are to an insurance company to potentially cost them a large settlement. It is in this situation that a company is going to require you attend anual recurrent training, and pay higher premiums. I can tell you there are just some light twins that are tough to insure 310's and twin comanche's are two of the most difficult. Some of the "more insurable" twins are Seminoles, senecas and Barons. Of course there are just absolute "no no's" in seeking to insure a twin. You better have an instrument rating and be ready to do an anual IPC. You must have at least your private ticket or better(some students with lots of money want twins) I wouldn't even recommend trying unless you have at least 750 hrs TT and at least 100 hrs of multi. Some of this may be a bit vague, but hey, that's insurance! Seriously, you can insure light twins, but it can be a bit of a pain if you are not meeting some the requirements I mentioned. I hope this helps. Oh, by the way I'm an aviation insurance underwriter for the largest aviation insurance company in the world. Best of luck to you!! Fly safe(makes my job easier)

Question for the insurance underwriter...

How much of a difference does it make if a pilot has a commercail rating rather than a private? Let's say their looking at a C-340 or 414 class of airplane. I've been told it makes a big difference, but I can't figure out why.



Latest resources