• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TV Report: PILOTS ON FOOD STAMPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's amazing how topics as simple as reasonable pay can break down into idealogical rants on this board. Taxes and entitlement programs aren't the issue. To me its about reasonable pay for honest work. Personally even if I wasn't a pilot I wouldn't want the people driving the plane to be more worried about their finances than the thunderstorm ahead or the runway condition for landing. I want them to be making enough that they want to live up to that value not down to it. I feel the same for my nurses, cops and teachers though the pay for one career field is irrelevant to that in another. I'm sure most people would think an extra $20 a ticket is a bargain to ensure a better qualified pilot and a safer trip. Unfortunately the laymen believe the government and the companies wouldn't put a uniform on someone unless they were highly qualified. Would you go with the less experienced surgeon for your bypass operation to save a few bucks?

We're just all deep thinkers. No really, that is true. It does come down to us and our paychecks. We need to be compensated more, compensated appropriately.

CM

Highsky: Let me ask you this, do you put your whole life on hold until the time is right to start a family? If so, you'll be waiting a long long time. Also, what happens when/if your medical fails and you devoted your life only to flying/work and not developed a family? It's a devestating thing I'm sure and even worse doing it alone without a family to support you through it. I honestly want my wife working on my days off because she enjoys it and I would be there to clean the house/help out/take care of the child. I will not put my child in day care and I would live in a trailer park and eat ramen and tuna if that's the sacrifice that was required. I support women who stay home to take care of a family. I remember coming home from school to a day care because my mother had to work and I wished that I could've come home to someone. Unfortunately that wasn't how my life was made out to be and I want better for my children and there is no shame or anything wrong with that.

CM

PS: Maybe we should use your tax dollars to subsidize stay at home moms and families instead of destroying them through abortion and other negative family programs.

Dude, I was with you the whole way on that...until I read your postscript. You didn't need to go there.

I'm proud of you for building the family that you want: The family you didn't have as a child (nor did I). I'm also proud of you for living within your means by living in a trailer, or a van down by the river, and eating canned tuna if that's what it takes. All without outside assistance.

Sacrifice, hard-work, independence...The American Spirit

I'll tell you what my important priority is: Keeping the money I earn in MY pocket, not watching it get sucked into YOUR grocery cart.

Spoken like a true ignoramus.

I'd like to be there when life gives you a swift kick in the balls and 'hard work and spirit' become irrelevant factors in the situation.

It's because of morons like yourself that I and everyone else in my 'circle of trust' will be voting a STRAIGHT Democrat ticket in 08.

OK HighSky: I'll meet you halfway on that. I'll retract that statement because this is a pilot board and really that might not have belonged there. Even so, I still feel the way I previously said. That PS comment wasn't directed at you directly just so you know. It's just how I feel about social issues of today and trying to make a statement. Fly safe!

CM

But that wouldn't jive with the historical trend of pilots being their own worst enemies now would it?

Management always banks on this and are always proved right.

Someone said it on this board somewhere else and it rings so true so many times:

'Pilots are the stupidest smart people'

BINGO!

Look at all of the union contracts with low first year rates. The fact is, the first year guys are sold out for the more senior rates. In ALPA negotiations they call it bargaining for the "unborn".

If being a teacher, or a firemen, or a cop is a better gig, then go do that instead.... that will fix the problem with pilot pay.... if we don't show up for class, the pay will go up....

Instead I suspect we will continue to show up for class, and then b!tch about how bad we are getting screwed......

Being a stay at home mom does not make a woman lazy. In my opinion, it shows where your priorities are. My daughter is more important than money, and it was worth being on food assistance to have my wife at home with her.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people treat my wife as if she's lazy or stupid for being a stay at home mom. She's very capable and had a professional career before she sacrificed it for something more important.

If you're a "modern woman" flying a big ol 767 and making bank, enjoy your money and prestige, more power to you. Just don't disrespect my wife for having different priorities.

Where did anyone disrespect her?

Not only that, but my church recommended that my wife stay at home, imagine that.

WOO HOOO! I don't give a frog's fat a$$ what a church says. It's filled with some of the biggest hippocrites in the world. I would do the opposite of what a church told me to do.

Latest resources

Back