• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turns around a point

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i was taught to keep the point on the wingtip, where the line of rivets leads to (on a cessna 172). if the point gets ahead of the rivets, have a shallower bank. if the point falls behind the line of rivets, then steepen the bank. the point will momentarily be unvisible but then bring the wingtip back up and it should be centered. i had no problems with this method.

"thanks to yall that helped. that was probably one of the best pieces of advice i've been given on this. It makes it mucho mucho easier to visualise the circle, which is where i was fubaring things. I'll have to try this tomorow."

When I was instructing, I found that once people could "see" a circle on the ground and fly over it, they had no trouble. Their bank angles would vary appropriately. Getting them to visualize a circle around a point was the tough part.

Good luck on your ride.

The maneuver is even easier when the area is flat and there are farm fields as far as the eye can see with divisions in those fields every 1/4 mile, marked like a grid (section lines). Just aim between the quarter and half a mile divisions on each of the four sides, adjust the bank as required.

Latest resources

Back