• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turned down Air Tran 10 years ago

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reminds me of how I was "too proud" to "buy" a job (Falcon type) with that dinky freight op in Little Rock.

I have learned 4 things from this job 1) Never take a job for upgrade time 2) Never move for your airline (ACA and Chicago...I lost $2,000 down payment when we closed base down 2 days later) 3) Never make a lateral move (almost took a job with netjets when AT was furloughing...I would be on the street and eating the donkey with this news) and 4)This industry really sucks

I have learned 4 things from this job 1) Never take a job for upgrade time 2) Never move for your airline (ACA and Chicago...I lost $2,000 down payment when we closed base down 2 days later) 3) Never make a lateral move (almost took a job with netjets when AT was furloughing...I would be on the street and eating the donkey with this news) and 4)This industry really sucks

Excellent advice

Reminds me of how I was "too proud" to "buy" a job (Falcon type) with that dinky freight op in Little Rock.

Sounds like a story from someone I flew with. Great guy and great sense of humor... he said that if he had taken the job, FedEx would be a thing of the past. He's been to a few majors over his career that tanked.

Things have changed in the industry and it is really hard to think what a good career choice is. I have done a few things that I regret, but I try to stay positive (kinda hard in this environment) and keep it professional.

Safe skies

What happened with Muse? That was before my time.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muse_Air

Notice the photo of the MD80 on the right. Ironic.

The connection is a little tenuous, but Muse pilots didn't want to be stapled. SWA Mgt. didn't want to deal with them, so they shut it down.

SWA didn't want to deal with ALPA-ATA and AFA-ATA, so they refused to deal with us. I was told more than once from WN pilots, and repeated by ATA pilots quoting WN pilots, that if it weren't for ALPA, they would have bought ATA. I don't believe it. The continued codeshare with ATA caused scope problems with SWAPA. SWA really just wanted to dismantle ATA so that they could remove direct competition, and keep FL, and later HP, out of MDW.

I remember flying on Transtar airlines several times. I always enjoyed the experience. I remember they used Tshirts with large lettering to advertise their latest gimmicks.

I did not want to fly old DC-9's and thought that the Valujet stigma still existed at AT. I went to Midway and now am kicking myself, Doah! I am still working and can't really complain but would have loved to be at SWA now. Gonna take out stock in scott's tissues for all the tears I will be shedding this week.:bawling:

Not to be the Spelling Nazi, but it's "D'oh!"

;)

I heard there were guys offered the September class that asked to bypass. As soon as the announcement was made people were flooding the hiring department trying to get into the October class which was full. Now classes are on hold almost certainly done here at airtran to be taken over by SWA. D'OOOOOOOOOH!

Latest resources

Back