Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
What's up with these pilots? (AMS is still fresh in my mind)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKTRE53742820090408

Turk plane mistakenly lands at Georgia base

Wed Apr 8, 2009 4:14pm BST

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - A Turkish Airlines aircraft apparently mistakenly landed at a military air base in Georgia on Wednesday, airport and airline sources said.

Pilot error probably caused the aircraft, travelling from Istanbul to Tbilisi, to land at the base located some 17 kilometres from the main passenger airport, a Turkish Airlines source, who declined to be named, told Reuters.

The Turkish state-run Anatolian news agency said 69 people were on board the Boeing aircraft. An aviation sector official in Istanbul confirmed the aircraft landed at the wrong airport.

"The plane was mistakenly landed at the military airport," the official said, on condition his name not be used. "It could be that the pilot confused the airports."

No further details were immediately available.

Turkish Airlines declined to comment officially on the reported incident.

These pilots? Are American pilots immune to landing at the wrong airport??

January 9, 2004 - A Shuttle America Saab 340 bound for University Park Airport in State College, Pennsylvania mistakenly lands at Mid-State Regional Airport in Philipsburg, Pennsylvania

January 22, 2003 - A Chatauqua Airlines Embraer 145, chartered by the University of Notre Dame basketball team and bound for South Bend, Indiana, mistakenly lands at Elkhart Municipal Airport

March 14, 2001 - A TWA MD-80, bound for Yampa Valley Airport in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, mistakenly lands at Craig-Moffat Airport

December 8, 2000 - A BAX Global DC-8, bound for Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in Oscoda, Michigan, mistakenly lands at Iosco County Airport in East Tawas

July 16, 1997 - A Continental Express Embraer 120, bound for Lake Charles, Louisiana, mistakenly lands at Southland Field in Carlyss

May 11, 1997 - A Continental Airlines 737, bound for Corpus Christi, Texas, mistakenly lands at Cabaniss Field, an abandoned Navy airfield

September 5, 1995 - A Northwest Airlines DC-10, bound for Frankfurt, Germany, mistakenly landed in Brussels, Belgium, approximately 200 miles off course. (In this case, air traffic control has been blamed for providing incorrect flight plan data to the pilots

December 21, 1994 - A United Airlines 757, bound for San Juan, Puerto Rico, mistakenly lands at Fernando Ribas Dominicci Airport (a/k/a Isla Grande Airport)

the list goes on...and on....

Last edited:
i think that it is only going to get worse when forgien countries and ours upgrade pilots with low time and no previous pic time. i blame the senority system.

NWA pilots also missed their destination in South Dakota and landed at an Air Force Base. And this was a few years ago in an Airbus A319!

"December 8, 2000 - A BAX Global DC-8, bound for Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in Oscoda, Michigan, mistakenly lands at Iosco County Airport in East Tawas"

A DC-8 on a 5000 foot runway. That's must have been fun!

"December 8, 2000 - A BAX Global DC-8, bound for Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in Oscoda, Michigan, mistakenly lands at Iosco County Airport in East Tawas"

4800 X 75 and it was contaminated with packed snow and ice! The outboard half of the wings including the outboard engines were over the edges of the runway.

Easy mistake to make. The runways have the same orientation, and are almost in line with each other. I believe there's a warning about this on the approach plate.

Easy mistake to make. The runways have the same orientation, and are almost in line with each other. I believe there's a warning about this on the approach plate.

If you are talking about Oscoda vs Iosco, then I would say that is a pretty big mistake. Oscoda is an ex SAC base, used for B-52's, rwy is very long, Iosco is a small county airport. Been to both, although only Oscoda flying the 8!

However, hats off to the pilot for the landing.

I heard that Connie sent people out to drain fuel out of the airplane and cut down trees so that the airplane could get out and make it the rest of the way to Oscoda...but there are a lot of legends out there.

Latest resources

Back