Turkish Airlines Crash Explained : inattentive pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

erikgigem

Initial findings to this tragic accident. See article for the whole story. -Erik

SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123621483296035363.html

Dutch investigators indicated a malfunctioning altitude indicator combined with inattentive pilots resulted in last week's fatal crash of a Turkish Airlines jet approaching Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport, sparking new concerns about the issue of cockpit complacency...

..John Goglia, a former member of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board, said the preliminary findings highlight that pilots "are supposed to monitor aircraft systems," but "automation tends to make some complacent" and extra training may be necessary to counter that trend.

The details disclosed so far in the Amsterdam crash indicate that the crew seemingly failed to notice -- or simply disregarded -- a number of warnings that ought to have alerted them about an impending stall...

On a Boeing memo we got from our company today regarding the crash, the FDR/CVR revealed that at 2,000' the left hand RA read -8 feet and triggered the auto throttles to retard.

For 100 seconds, the crew allowed their airspeed to decay to 40 knots below Vref before the stick shaker activated.

Why didn't the pilot flying disconnect the auto throttles to get back on speed?

Why didn't the pilot monitoring mention anything about the decaying airspeed?

I think Sully would be dissapointed...

Are autothrottles really worth the increased mishap rate with them? Anyone with experience care to elaborate? Nothing keeps you in the loop like managing power to control airspeed.

Are autothrottles really worth the increased mishap rate with them? Anyone with experience care to elaborate? Nothing keeps you in the loop like managing power to control airspeed.

Thats why i like the crj 200, but you have to remember "never compromise savings" auto throttles save a lot of $

The opposite may be listed as a probable cause in the Colgan crash. If the autopilot levels off after a flight-idle descent and you forget or get side tracked, the airspeed will decay quickly. I just flew a q400 with the autopilot deferred and I must say that i was more aware of my situational awareness then with the autopilot.

Latest resources

Back