• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Turkish Airlines Crash Explained : inattentive pilots

erikgigem

Total Time
Initial findings to this tragic accident. See article for the whole story. -Erik

SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123621483296035363.html

Dutch investigators indicated a malfunctioning altitude indicator combined with inattentive pilots resulted in last week's fatal crash of a Turkish Airlines jet approaching Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport, sparking new concerns about the issue of cockpit complacency...

..John Goglia, a former member of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board, said the preliminary findings highlight that pilots "are supposed to monitor aircraft systems," but "automation tends to make some complacent" and extra training may be necessary to counter that trend.

The details disclosed so far in the Amsterdam crash indicate that the crew seemingly failed to notice -- or simply disregarded -- a number of warnings that ought to have alerted them about an impending stall...

EatinRamen

Total Time
4500+
On a Boeing memo we got from our company today regarding the crash, the FDR/CVR revealed that at 2,000' the left hand RA read -8 feet and triggered the auto throttles to retard.

For 100 seconds, the crew allowed their airspeed to decay to 40 knots below Vref before the stick shaker activated.

Why didn't the pilot flying disconnect the auto throttles to get back on speed?

Why didn't the pilot monitoring mention anything about the decaying airspeed?

I think Sully would be dissapointed...

Raoul Duke

Total Time
Probably be smart enough not to fly on Turkish Airways. Or any other POS 3rd world carrier

cjdriver

Are autothrottles really worth the increased mishap rate with them? Anyone with experience care to elaborate? Nothing keeps you in the loop like managing power to control airspeed.

i fly boxes

Total Time
Are autothrottles really worth the increased mishap rate with them? Anyone with experience care to elaborate? Nothing keeps you in the loop like managing power to control airspeed.

Thats why i like the crj 200, but you have to remember "never compromise savings" auto throttles save a lot of $

MALSR

Total Time
enough
The opposite may be listed as a probable cause in the Colgan crash. If the autopilot levels off after a flight-idle descent and you forget or get side tracked, the airspeed will decay quickly. I just flew a q400 with the autopilot deferred and I must say that i was more aware of my situational awareness then with the autopilot.

CX880

Total Time
Passengers of flight VS Turkish Airlines
Passengers of flight VS Boeing.

ASA_Aviator

Total Time
Enough
The opposite may be listed as a probable cause in the Colgan crash. If the autopilot levels off after a flight-idle descent and you forget or get side tracked, the airspeed will decay quickly. I just flew a q400 with the autopilot deferred and I must say that i was more aware of my situational awareness then with the autopilot.

I like being aware of my situational awareness.

ground stop

Total Time
wasn't pitch and power one of the first things taught in primary training?

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
If true, very pathetic. They had what was coming to them. Geez... did I just say that? sorry but stupid is as stupid does.

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Total Time
6AM

Hugh Johnson

Total Time
Yep
When I was at Eagle on the SAAB, they taught that the "ALTS" on the EFIS meant "Add a little torque, stupid."

V-1

Total Time
Any information about the experience of this crew available?

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
Why don't we all hold off on the speculation until Capt. Scott B. Kaley publishes his findings?!?!?!?!