Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TurboProp vs. Turbojet? Who comes out ahead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Props vs. jets, it's all doable (trainable). I'd say it's the attitude of the individual along with some innate aptitude for flying and a bunch of effort. Jets are easier to fly in many ways.

As one of the others mentioned, it's getting the interview that matters. Once you get the interview, they think you're qualified. You essentially need to give them no reason not to hire you. The job is yours to lose.

Good luck.

SCR

Last edited:
I think it's more in terms of "all things being equal" kind of thing. Everybody knows most of the majors would RATHER hire military pilots and I submit that they would RATHER hire Jet Captains then t/p Captains.

I've been to two major airline interviews and each asked about being able to transition from flying a DHC-8 to a Jet. It wasn't as big a stretch for me as I also have a few hundred hours in an ERJ, however, I can see how someone with no jet time could throw up yellow flags during the selection process. I won't say that jets are harder - but they are different - and coming back to the jet after flying a t/p for so long was a bit of a challenge.

My advice would depend on individual circumstance. If you are flying at an airline with only t/p's then I would not leave - stay put and build that PIC time, however, if you are at an airline where you do have a choice I would bid the Jet as soon as I could hold a line to get that box shaded to.

Good luck

It's a known but unadvertised fact that the director of training at JB (some guy called Bargher (sp?) will not look at turboprop only guys now.They did in the past but now call them unqualified....... I'm not bitter just glad his racism helped me move on to better things.

It really doesn't matter. I got two job offers at majors with turboprop only time. Interviews were not a problem. No bias against turboprops. Most people realize that it really doesn't matter. It's turbine. To be honest, my turboprop days involved much more challenging flying than anything I've done in the jet. There were some diffences flying the md80, but nothing a couple hours in the simulator didn't take care of. Don't worry about it. There may be some operators that care, but most don't. They just want to hire good people. My two cents.

considering the regionals are taking 300 hr pilots into their FMS,Glass,jets. I dont know why anyone would have a problem with a turboprop pilot with thousands of hours learning to fly the new equiptment.

While there is a natural reluctance to speak ill of turbo-prop pilots since they are OG regional drivers, there are some realities to face in the modern world...

Analog props is different from glass jets..mainly because of the menu-driven information displays and the higher speeds.

There are prop pilots who have difficulty transitioning to jets (there are doubtless jet pilots who would have a hard time going to props, but that doesn't come up very often).

Majors like glass/jet time because if you did it once, you're something of a known quantity as far as training risk. Props-only pilots are not high training risks, they are just somewhat unknown.

SWA and CAL seem to have no problem hiring prop-only pilots. Other majors seem to prefer some jet time (I know, I know, your cousin's girlfriend' brother got hired at FDX with 1001 hours of part 91 king air time but that ain't the reality for most of us).

As far as PIC goes, it doesn't matter what type aircraft...they want to see judgement and command ability. But it would be helpful to have at least a little RJ time, even as an FO...the computers work just the same from either seat.

Last edited:
I'm a turbo prop guy and was finally given a start date with a major.

I interviewed with two other companies before and didn't get on. Both of them really hit the area of not having jet time. Also they kept bringing up the fact that I didn't have glass time and FMS experience.

BS. They just didn't like you. They knew your qualifications before you came in the door, and if they chose to NOT hire you because of those qualifications, they wasted everyone's time.

It's been my experience that HR and hiring depts. have better things to do than waste their time.

Two guys trying to get an interview. One TP Captain and one RJ Captain.
Both have the same amount of incident free 121 PIC time.

1. Which one's got connections at that company.
2. See #1
3. See #1
4. See #1
5. See #1

Last edited:
Two guys trying to get an interview. One TP Captain and one RJ Captain.
Both have the same amount of incident free 121 PIC time.

1. Which one's got connections at that company.
2. See #1
3. See #1
4. See #1
5. See #1

That was one of the most eloquent things I've read on this board in awhile, not to mention true!
I owe you a beer dude for summing things up all too well.......:beer:

The majors should prefer t-prop rig drivers because they bitch less and don't seem to be less arrogant.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back