Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
So I'm doing 250 inbound to the field when Southwest checks on. I can see on TCAS that he's further from the field than we are, and I KNOW he's limited to 250, just like all the rest of God's creatures below 10k. Both of us are headed direct to the field when ATC gives us, the turboprop, a 45 degree deviation to follow the jet.

It happens EVERY TIME, even if they're 5 or 10 miles behind us! We have these wicked speed brakes called "propellers", landing gear, and flaps. Heck, we can even slip it if we gotta. We routinely do 250 to the marker and only JUST hit our Vapp at 500' just as our FLOP calls for in a VFR stabilized approach. But when we're given the headings to follow the traffic, we end up having to hit the breaks and slow to 130kts on base to avoid getting a tour of the rest of the state.

What gives? This is starting to rub me raw.

Shy

Take a number...

Those of us in jets also have to put up with the same B.S. I've been put in the box for "enroute spacing" while a SW taxies past us. After we take off, we follow them all the way down the East Coast to Orlando. Had it happen more than once.

Those of us in jets also have to put up with the same B.S. I've been put in the box for "enroute spacing" while a SW taxies past us. After we take off, we follow them all the way down the East Coast to Orlando. Had it happen more than once.
So what's the deal??? Why does SWA get preferential treatment? Surely ATC staff aren't the typical SWA-type patron. I'm only going to let it slide for so much longer before I start saying something... I've heard the rumors about the pizza parties as well. Wonder how true it is.

Shy

So I'm doing 250 inbound to the field when Southwest checks on. I can see on TCAS that he's further from the field than we are, and I KNOW he's limited to 250, just like all the rest of God's creatures below 10k. Both of us are headed direct to the field when ATC gives us, the turboprop, a 45 degree deviation to follow the jet.

It happens EVERY TIME, even if they're 5 or 10 miles behind us! We have these wicked speed brakes called "propellers", landing gear, and flaps. Heck, we can even slip it if we gotta. We routinely do 250 to the marker and only JUST hit our Vapp at 500' just as our FLOP calls for in a VFR stabilized approach. But when we're given the headings to follow the traffic, we end up having to hit the breaks and slow to 130kts on base to avoid getting a tour of the rest of the state.

What gives? This is starting to rub me raw.

Shy

Yep, happens to me all the time too, in SoCal. I think ATC is currently spring-loaded to give preferential treatment to airlines now, and everyone else just comes in second (or 3rd or 4th) down the line. Once in awhile, when it is VFR and I am feeling frisky, I tell the controller I can do a close in approach and easily make it in before the jet/airliner he is making me follow on some long downwind, or SLOW UP (in my King Air) to follow; AND I tell him that if the spacing does not work out, I will voluntarily go around and let the airliner land. I've had a couple of them take me up on it - I think I could hear them chuckling as they did - and in each case, I made it in ahead of the jetliner with plenty of room to spare. But I think that the "first come, first served" philosophy upon which ATC has historically been based, is a thing of the past now....... it really is more like "take care of the airlines first, and everyone else afterwards".

This is one of my all time favs. Could someone put this is the TRACON in SLC.

Approach slows us to 170 lets the jet pass then gives us normal speed. By that time we are 7 to 10 miles from the airport and the jet is slowing to configure. The prop comes slamming up the end of the jet as we get passed to tower and they have us slow to our final approach speed just to give the jet enough time to use 10000 feet of runway.

Sometimes I just have to shake my head...I wish I could get a government job.

ATC'ers are not pilots, most of them assume the jet will be much faster, this isn't something that just started happening.

"ATC'ers are not pilots, most of them assume the jet will be much faster, this isn't something that just started happening."

Well sorry, there are many of us that are. If ya'll would keep these posts professional, then maybe I would help you with your answers. Ohh well, hope you like the penalty box.

ATCT

Latest resources

Back