Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Avi8tor2000

Big Papa
I was just looking for others' educated opinions on a certain question. With the arrival of many, many regional jets in the past, present, and forseeable future, will turboprop time still remain a measuring stick for the major airlines or will it soon become all jet time? In other words, do you think turoprops just be a means to a seat on an RJ or will the jump to a large jet still be feasible in the next 5 years? Thanks.

Turboprop time

Years ago, the only turbine time you could get at a regional was turboprop, and the majors back then picked up plenty of regional pilots. The majors are looking for 121 turbine PIC time, whether it is from jets, props, or whatever. Chances are, if you get on with a regional of any size, you'll eventually upgrade to an RJ, so the issue will be moot.

A lot will depend on hiring. Your chances will improve if hiring picks up, but even if it doesn't the odds are good that you will still be called if you can offer good 121 turbine PIC time in anything.

Hope that helps.

Who knows what they will be looking for in 5 or 6 years when most of the majors start hiring again.

For right now, find a job you can be real happy at for 10 years. Hopefully you won't have to be there that long, but just in case, get comfortable. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but we must be real here. If you can find a job in an RJ, great! If not, the right seat of a turboprop ain't all that bad either. About 10 years ago, guys would kill for a job where they would be in the right seat of a 1900 and upgrade times were like 5 years.

Good Luck,
JetPilot500

Turbine time is turbine time. One is designed to be more efficient at lower altitudes, the other at higher altitudes. Whether you have experience in one means of propulsion or the other isn't going to make the difference in getting hired.

Re: Turboprop time

bobbysamd said:
The majors are looking for 121 turbine PIC time, whether it is from jets, props, or whatever.

Actually I beg to differ... The Majors are (were) looking for PIC Jet time (91/135/121) didn't matter.... A lot of ExecJet guys were getting hired by the Majors and they fly Part 91.... I know other Part 91 guys hired by the Majors without even 1 hour of ANY 121 time....

10 years ago 121 time was the magic nugget... today it is (was) PIC Jet time....

Now don't get me wrong, PIC Turbo-Prop isn't bad either.... but the Jet time is ideal...

Fly Safe!

Yea, escpecially knowing how much HARDER it is to fly a jet than a turboprop. OK, this is que to start smiling.

LR25

Turbine PIC

I have to agree with Saabslime on this one. Tubine PIC = Turbine PIC. I (along with two others from my company) was recently hired by Southwest with just over 1000 turbine PIC... in a Metro. It was all singe pilot Part 135 cargo in a turboprop. I did have a bunch of time in the f.e. and f.o. seat of the 727 but ZERO jet PIC. I'm not saying that 121 jet time isn't VERY desireable, it is... just not a requirement.

When you meet the minimum requirements for an airline apply anyway regardless of if you have turbine time or not. There are a few more things worth considering though.

It's not so much the quality of the flying but the quality of the person that determines if you get a job. I've known guys with 5000 hours PIC on B707's get knocked back from major international airlines, then I've seen guys with 500 hours total time, 20 hours ME get straight into a "heavy"

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's an aeroplane, thats all, don't let big minimum requirements scare you away from applying, you can teach an ape to fly these things - I mean look at Mohammed Atta!!

It also depends on where you want to go. JetBlue used to hire alot of guys with just turbine PIC, but now they won't give us the time of day. The industry changes so fast and often that your best bet is to get a job that you'll be happy at instead of one that you know will make you miserable but has an opportunity to fill in some golden time in an application.

Latest resources

Back